Help with soft water?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bosefus06

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I've had an aquarium up and running for years with no problems. Recently I moved to a new apartment and my fish started getting sick. My Mollies and Swordtails started getting skinny, would rock side to side, and eventually die. After researching the symptoms, I believe it is "shimmy". I learned shimmy can be caused by too few minerals. I bought a water hardness test kit, and my aquarium water and every tap in my apartment were:
GH ppm- 75
KH ppm- 60
pH- 7.6

Those are all too low for my fish. My apartment complex must be softening our water. The problem is I have no idea how to fix it. I barely even understand the science behind all this. If anyone could give me some advice I'd really appreciate it.

Here is the rest of the information for my aquarium:

55 gallon
Ammonia- 0 ppm
Nitrite- 0 ppm
Nitrate- 10 to 20 ppm
I change 20% of the water once per week

I've had an aquarium up and running for years with no problems. Recently I moved to a new apartment and my fish started getting sick. My Mollies and Swordtails started getting skinny, would rock side to side, and eventually die. After researching the symptoms, I believe it is "shimmy". I learned shimmy can be caused by too few minerals. I bought a water hardness test kit, and my aquarium water and every tap in my apartment were:
GH ppm- 75
KH ppm- 60
pH- 7.6

Those are all too low for my fish. My apartment complex must be softening our water. The problem is I have no idea how to fix it. I barely even understand the science behind all this. If anyone could give me some advice I'd really appreciate it.

Here is the rest of the information for my aquarium:

55 gallon
Ammonia- 0 ppm
Nitrite- 0 ppm
Nitrate- 10 to 20 ppm
I change 20% of the water once per week
Many people have had success using crushed coral and small amounts of baking soda. But it's done slowly and without exact science. Seachem makes an excellent mineral suppliment that gives you directions on how to dose. Seachem is the only one I'm familiar with. Their may be other brands that work just as well. It's time for you to get to a petshop or Google "Aquarium mineral supplements", if you prefer to shop online. It's a little confusing to me how your water can be so soft and have a pH as high as 7.6.

Buy a pretty piece of limestone and add it to your hardscape, or as Dr, J suggested, place crushed coral in your filter box.

Many people have had success using crushed coral and small amounts of baking soda. But it's done slowly and without exact science. Seachem makes an excellent mineral suppliment that gives you directions on how to dose. Seachem is the only one I'm familiar with. Their may be other brands that work just as well. It's time for you to get to a petshop or Google "Aquarium mineral supplements", if you prefer to shop online. It's a little confusing to me how your water can be so soft and have a pH as high as 7.6.
The advice from v227 is a valid way of adding overall hardness to the water and the crushed coral will too in addition to giving buffering ability. But how much coral is sufficient is established over time by adding a little, then checking results, then adding a little more and thats all well and good. However, crushed limestone is what we add to our lawns because grass grows better in alkaline soil (high pH). Your pH is already at 7.6. Limestone addition could raise your pH off the charts. Using prescribed amounts of commercial mineral supplements is directed by scientific studies. Since it's minerals and not medication. It's the same as us taking prescribed amounts of vitamins. Get some commercial mineral supplements and follow the directions exactly.

Before I began hardscaping my tanks with Honeycombed limestone, I researched it's likely effects on PH. I believe the maximum expectation of elevated ph was 8.3.
So if ones tank water was soft & acidic, the addition of limestone would have a rather big upward ph swing. If the hypothetical tank already had hard water (like mine) there is not going to be much change. No need to fear limestone hardscapes.

Before I began hardscaping my tanks with Honeycombed limestone, I researched it's likely effects on PH. I believe the maximum expectation of elevated ph was 8.3.
So if ones tank water was soft & acidic, the addition of limestone would have a rather big upward ph swing. If the hypothetical tank already had hard water (like mine) there is not going to be much change. No need to fear limestone hardscapes.
Your hypothesis is is valid except for one flaw...the current buffering ability of the current water to control the ability of the limestone to stop the pH from stopping at 8.3 or any other reading. Soft water should not even be at 7.6, so the pH levels stopping at any level depends on the buffering. Coral can increase the water's buffering ability, but treatment with coral takes time and at least an unknown minimal amount to buffer the water before adding limestone or any other potential items that may raise the ph. I am all for natural solutions when they warrent it. It's up to the person in need of help which way he decides to go.

You got me there Dr J, Lol. I forgot to consider the OP's unusually low general hardness in relation to the listed PH.

I use Wonder shells with my livebearers and they love it .My water is close to your with 7.6 ph 2-3 kh and 9gh..
I mostly measure TDS which is total of all dissolved solids .My water from tap is 350 aprox.
I recently tested one of my swordtail tanks and had a TDS of 1,180 ! All from the wonder shells. I will say you have to watch your ph as the wonder shells may cause it to DROP !
I add about 1/4 teaspoon of baking powder to my tanks now when PH is less then 7...

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...erShell.html&usg=AOvVaw0MzSeiVKVfA0p6jh0UEHXw
I find this approach easy and the shells come in 3 sizes so you can choose how much to use .
I follow directions on the size I use..
The addition of wonder shells has breathed new life into my white albino swordtails to the point that after almost a year I have enough to sell again.
I won't go without..
I get mine from pet supply plus[I buy nothing else there]...

Back
Top Bottom