Help with Stocking a 29 gallon long

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DeirdreHoyle

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hi guys,
I currently have a 29 gallon freshwater tank with a 3 inch long bristlenose pleco and yesterday I bought two harlequin rasboras, two neon tetras and a clown loach. I now realize that all of those fish (besides the plec) are schooling fish. So, would I be overstocked if I got 1 or 2 more clown loaches and 4 more rasboras and tetras (two more of each)? That way, each fish has a small school and I'm at 12 fish total. Don't want to overstock and stress the fish, any thoughts?

Hi guys,
I currently have a 29 gallon freshwater tank with a 3 inch long bristlenose pleco and yesterday I bought two harlequin rasboras, two neon tetras and a clown loach. I now realize that all of those fish (besides the plec) are schooling fish. So, would I be overstocked if I got 1 or 2 more clown loaches and 4 more rasboras and tetras (two more of each)? That way, each fish has a small school and I'm at 12 fish total. Don't want to overstock and stress the fish, any thoughts?

Well that clown loach is going to way outgrow that tank. I'd up the neons and rasboras to 6 each.

Take back the clown loach immediately they need a 125 gallon tank since they are extremely active and reach 12 inches. I would then buy 4 more harlequin rasboras and 4 more neon tetras so they have some good sized schools

Yes get rid of him unless you plan on buying a 125 gallon for him in the next month. Or else I would return him and up your schools then add some cory cats for the bottom.

Take back the clown loach immediately they need a 125 gallon tank since they are extremely active and reach 12 inches. I would then buy 4 more harlequin rasboras and 4 more neon tetras so they have some good sized schools

Oh ok dang I will take him back.

Yah I have done it before to it sucks but its the nest for your fish. I'm sure your tanks gonna look great regardless!

I agree with getting the rasboras and neons up to 6-8 each and returning the clown loach. There are other loach species that would be more suitable. Check out kuhli loaches if you can find them. Or consider cory catfish.

I just googled dwarf chain loaches and I love them! I've never seen one at a pet store before but I'll look out for them. Kuhli loaches are nice too but I like the chunkier loaches better :) Do you think I would be overstocked with 12 tetras/rasboras and 2 or 3 loaches (whatever kind I end up getting) plus my pleco?

I love dwarf chain loaches as well, but they can be hard to find and are pretty pricey at about $10 each. If you're looking for some cute, active bottom dwellers you could get a group of corys :) or yoyo loaches (they even eat snails)- I got mine 2/$9.
I think that stocking would be fine, and you even would have room for a centerpiece fish like an angel or gourami.

I love dwarf chain loaches as well, but they can be hard to find and are pretty pricey at about $10 each. If you're looking for some cute, active bottom dwellers you could get a group of corys :) or yoyo loaches (they even eat snails)- I got mine 2/$9.
I think that stocking would be fine, and you even would have room for a centerpiece fish like an angel or gourami.

That's right I almost forgot I used to have a yoyo loach and he was awesome! I lost him to Ich :( but I think I will go get a couple of those. Thanks! I love angels too so if you think I have room for one of those I will definitely get one

Yoyo loaches grow to about 5 inches. Are much happier in bigger shoals. At least 5 and are extremely active. Tank provable too small

Oh ok. I have another question, I like corys and people have suggested I get those instead of loaches, but do corys need sand? I have gravel in my tank and I don't really want to switch substrates...that seems like a hassle.

Oh ok. I have another question, I like corys and people have suggested I get those instead of loaches, but do corys need sand? I have gravel in my tank and I don't really want to switch substrates...that seems like a hassle.

Is your gravel sharp at all?

Back
Top Bottom