Help with substrate!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HannahJo

Aquarium Advice Activist
I need help deciding on a substrate for my 72G fish community. I currently have 9 platys, 15 tetras, and 2 BN plecos. I currently do NOT have substrate in there right now but I think I want (maybe need?) to get some. I've seen mixed reviews regarding keeping a bare bottom tank. I do like the bare bottom but if it's going to be beneficial (or necessary) to have substrate I want to get some in.
So here's my questions (I don't want sand):
1.) Is there a lightweight gravel/rock option?
2.) Does it make a difference how much I put in? I've seen 2 inches seems "ideal" but can I get away with less?
3.) Is lava rock a good option?
4.) Does size matter- big or small rocks/pebbles/gravel?

lava rock or bigger pebbles or stones would make for tough time to clean detritus off the bottom of tank as it will slip into the crevices. There is small gravel options you can use that are easy to clean and if you aren't doing plants you can get away with less than 2" for sure. I have larger grain sand in one tank and small gravel in another. Like them both.

lava rock or bigger pebbles or stones would make for tough time to clean detritus off the bottom of tank as it will slip into the crevices. There is small gravel options you can use that are easy to clean and if you aren't doing plants you can get away with less than 2" for sure. I have larger grain sand in one tank and small gravel in another. Like them both.

Thanks for the info! I was looking into lava rock but probably won't go that route then. I am leaning towards smaller gravel or pebbles and maybe only doing 1 inch or even 1/2 inch (I have no plants).

I'd go with 2" to see if it's as deep as you are visualizing then take some out if you find its too much for you. Too little will create annoying *bare* spots when you gravel clean(yea I speak from experience) and 2" will also give you enough to anchor any decor/wood that you use.

I'd go with 2" to see if it's as deep as you are visualizing then take some out if you find its too much for you. Too little will create annoying *bare* spots when you gravel clean(yea I speak from experience) and 2" will also give you enough to anchor any decor/wood that you use.

Sounds good- will try that approach.

Thank you!

Lava rock!

Do not get any soft bottom dwellers with lava rock it is terribly rough but! It's great for BB so you could put lava rock under your sand or graval.

Have you thought about trying sand? There's plenty of good options to add to your tank which looks great and is simple to clean.

Have you thought about trying sand? There's plenty of good options to add to your tank which looks great and is simple to clean.

I don't think I want to use sand. I guess gravel just seems easier and maybe less messy in the long haul?

Sand is definitely cleaner than gravel. With sand the detritus will collect on top where it can be sucked up by filter or easily vacuumed out of the tank. With gravel you have to dig through it to clean any detritus.

Sand is definitely cleaner than gravel. With sand the detritus will collect on top where it can be sucked up by filter or easily vacuumed out of the tank. With gravel you have to dig through it to clean any detritus.

I guess I am thinking more about like when it comes time to empty out a tank (which I actually haven't done in like a year so I don't know why that even seems like something I'd be doing? :blink:) Maybe sand isn't such a bad option. Are there any issues with sand and filters? I have HOBs on my tank now.

The only issue with sand and filters comes when you have extremely high flow rates which you should only have on specialized tanks such as a reef or river tank. Other than that theres no issues. Just be sure to clean the sand throughly.

Play sand is a nice option, but there are aquarium specific sands that work well too in varying colors. My personal preference is either black or white sand.

I went with white sand. I LOVE it. Thank you for the suggestions and info!

Back
Top Bottom