Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-22-2021, 09:01 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Help with what to do with problem molly fish

Hello everyone. Thanks for everyone's help for my previous threads. Now I need advice on what to do with my current population of fish. My tank is just over a month old and is nearly cycled. Ammonia and nitrite are nearly 0 and nitrates are going up.
I started with 2 molly fish and 2 guppy fish. The guppies weren't doing well so I had to return them to the store. Their tails were being nipped by my one pumpkin patch molly. So we were down to 2 molly fish. Then one day I was cleaning the tank with my tongs and as I was going to grab an old piece of food, it turned around at looked at me. Turns out my two male molly are actually a male and a female. And I found two fry in the tank. I couldn't bring myself to let the adults eat the babies so I rushed out and got a nursery net and the two fry are happy as clams in there with my floating plants.
My question for this thread is what do I do with these Molly. I could return one adult and exchange so I have two of the same sex but I want guppies back in the tank and don't want to risk getting another aggressive one.
My wife wants to get similar platys to replace the two molly and get some more guppy again because my daughter wants to know where her guppy are (rainbow and sunny are their names). I am just really attached to these molly and want to make sure they go to a good home.
I can't be sure returning them to the store won't mean they will just flush them to isolate their fish from mine. Is there such a thing as people in my area who will take them? I live near Toronto ontario Canada.
Sorry for the ramble but I'm really having a hard time with what to to. Any help and advice is greatly appreciated

Tags
fish, molly, problem

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com