Help!! Wrong size filter? (Please read!)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KatieAliceF

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi guys, I'm really worried now.

The pet store worker said that the Aquaclear 30 would be the best for 29g tank. I didn't argue because it said 30 gallons right on it! So I bought it and now, weeks later I figure out this is completely wrong apparently. I read someone while browsing the forums that I should have a Aquaclear 70??

I don't get this, is it true? I can't return the filter!

Usually double the filtration is recommended. It's not the end of the world though, as you could look into maybe getting an AC50 or AC70 to complement the 30 you have now.

Usually double the filtration is recommended. It's not the end of the world though, as you could look into maybe getting an AC50 or AC70 to complement the 30 you have now.

What happens if I don't have good enough filtration? :(

I have only one 30 gallon filter in my 29 gallon, but it is heavily planted and I do 34.4827586% weekly water changes with no problem

Well, plants help reduce a considerable amount of ammonia, so I don't know about an unplanted one, but my 55 has one 55 gallon filter in it and isn't planted its been doing good for 8 months now

What do you have stocked in the tank? Having an idea of what the bioload of your tank is an important factor in PWCs and filtration.

What do you have stocked in the tank? Having an idea of what the bioload of your tank is an important factor in PWCs and filtration.

I have a not full-grown angelfish and a small school of cories.

Piggyback!

Don't worry too much I have a suggestion which will double your BB, just add a second filter pad, piggyback them, I like to keep 2 in all my HOB filters that way I have a spare in case one falls apart, or I need to get a new fish tank, lol. ;)

You know too not to rinse them in tap water, only tank water or treated water... That way the BB aren't killed by the Chlorine/Chloramines, etc in the tap water :flowers: Just rinse one really well one time and the other just gently, alternating and keeping a high level of BB once it gets built up.

It really helps keep the tanks stable.

Then just start looking for a good sale and /or some nice plant stems which will help eat up the waste byproducts!!!

Don't worry too much I have a suggestion which will double your BB, just add a second filter pad, piggyback them, I like to keep 2 in all my HOB filters that way I have a spare in case one falls apart, or I need to get a new fish tank, lol. ;)

You know too not to rinse them in tap water, only tank water or treated water... That way the BB aren't killed by the Chlorine/Chloramines, etc in the tap water :flowers: Just rinse one really well one time and the other just gently, alternating and keeping a high level of BB once it gets built up.

It really helps keep the tanks stable.

Then just start looking for a good sale and /or some nice plant stems which will help eat up the waste byproducts!!!

Sorry if this is a stupid question but what does BB stand for?

And can you put two filter pads in them? I'll probaby do that then and some plants! :)

Back
Top Bottom