Help!!! yoyo loaches and a bristlenose

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DragonFish71

Great white snark
We're about to go look at an 80g set up I found on craigslist. Only thing is if we get this set up *crosses my fingers* we will be adopting a few fish.

2 yoyo loaches

1 bristlenose pleco

2 boesmani rainbows

And no idea what to do with them.

I've tried finding out about the yoyo's, if they would work out in our 29g and can't find a good answer.

In the 29g we have:

glowlight tetras, black neon tetras, and neon tetras. hatchet fish, forktail rainbowfish, cories, mystery snails and a bamboo shrimp.

I know there isn't enough room for them in our 20l, 10, 5.5 and 14, and I don't think they would get along well in the 55g with the cichlids.

Also, the bristlenose pleco. Where can he go? Would he stand up to JD's, Firemouths, jewels, pictus and synodontis cats?

The rainbows I can give to my sister in law, maybe to loaches if I have to.
I would like to keep the loaches and bristlenose if they can fit into what we have now but if need be, rehoming shouldn't be a problem.

The bristlenose will work fine in a 29 gallon tank as long as it isn't already fully stocked you gave list but not how many of each one. I consider them a larger bioload when doing the fish per inch estimate.

The yoyo should be fine in a 55g with cichlids. They grown to be no more than 6". I have a yoyo loach with my angelfish and they get along very well. They mostly stay on the bottom and like hiding places, so consider making caves and such for cichlids and loach.

The bristlenose as well is a smaller pleco and should only get up to 6". They should both be fine in the 29 gallon. I agree with joy13 about bioload for plecos. They produce a bit more waste than most fish. Knowing what else you are stocking in the 29 gallon will help. In general as a rule with plecos in a tank, I recommend vacumming the gravel, even lightly every week with your water changes to manage waste removal. This will help keep everything balanced.

So we just got home with the whole set up, including the fish and there was a chocolate pleco included in the deal. Both plecos are about 3inches long. The yoyos are about 4. One of the rainbows is full grown the other doesn't look too good. All the fish are at least 3 years old so I'm pretty sure they've reached their full size. This will make it easier to find homes. If the yoyos will get along with our cichlids I'll just put them in there. Thanks for that replies.

I have yo-yo loaches and they pretty much mind their own business on the bottom...except they eat snails. You mentioned a snail somewhere. They'll make dinner of it.

Back
Top Bottom