Here We Go Again...Yet Another Disastrous Attempt at a Water Change

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Osage_Winter

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Attempted the weekly water change yet again last night -- let me tell you all how it turned out (as if you couldn't guess)...

After I couldn't get the syphon to work doing the "hold your finger over the open hole of the tube" method, we eventually got it flowing by moving the stupid tube up and down in the water, which, again, caused heavy turbulence in the tank...we drained about 30 to 35% of the water, this time leaving the bubble wands and filters off, and I took this opportunity to do some housekeeping of sorts in the tank -- wiped some algae/black gunk off half of the inside glass, dunked the media from both filters in tank water, wiped some of the salt deposits off the filter plastic...

Yet again, however, this water change is going to cost us money as it always does as this time, it was me who accidentally stepped on one of the glass versa tops I layed on the floor next to the tank on a towel...I was going to check on the status of one of the filters when CRACK! My foot went right down on it, and I snapped the top into shattered, jagged pieces. This will be the SECOND round of glass tops we had to order -- the first time my wife accidentally stepped on the glass and cracked it.

Anyway, let me get back...and so it seems the method of dunking and squeezing out the media into the tank water that was drained may have worked -- indeed, the water turned black after dunking my Aqueon's two cartridges and subsequently squeezing out and rinsing the AquaClear's sponge block. So SOME kind of dirt was released...

However, upon starting up both filters again after the dechlorinated fresh tap water was put back in the tank, there arose more problems -- it seems now that after priming my AquaClear 110, the filter is making a strange noise that I cannot pinpoint or correct...it sounds as if the water is "whirring" from/in the intake tube and the flow of the filter doesn't seem to be what it once was -- is it possible something is clogging the system? This ONLY happened once I did this water change last night, and I didn't do anything different in terms of priming the 110...but now, we're getting a "swishing/whirring" sound as if the filter is "struggling" to pump, although water is flowing in and out...

Oh yes, another thing to be swell about! The diatoms that have consumed by shipwreck sails have spread to the skull ornament, and some of it is even on the AquaClear's intake strainer!

Boy...at least this time with this water change, I didn't burn my carpet or soak the carpets like an 18th century wet rug...spills? Yup. An absolute mess all over the tank? You betcha. New glass top needed now? But of course...

This just gets better and better, eh people?

What do I do now about my filter? Anyone else experience this noise with the AquaClears?

Oh, and yes, one other thing -- I cannot put my light strip on the glass tops because one is shattered, so I can only inspect the water quality by looking at the tank in daylight...from the side, the water appears as hazy and unclear as ever, even after this water change!

Check your impeller, mine was making the same noise, and I had to add some vaseline to the impeller shaft.

Check your impeller, mine was making the same noise, and I had to add some vaseline to the impeller shaft.

Thank you, Gus...

Where is the impeller? What causes this noise?

Mine does that occasionally when there is a little pocket of air in the intake tube. I've found that turning the flow all the way down for a minute, then back up, then back down will usually fix it... for me at least

And the impeller is under the grey plastic piece that the intake tube sits on. You'll have to lift it up, then pull it out... But it sounds more like what I described

Well, I just tried adjusting it -- that is, what Jon recommended...moving the intake speed up and down and up and down...I don't think it changed anything...

Is the ENTIRE basket on the AquaClears supposed to be filled with water -- beyond and higher than the level of the biomax pellets?

Okay...

Continued to play with the flow intake -- nothing. Added more tank water to the 110's basket -- nothing. The noise remains.

And the flow output has DEFINITELY diminished since this last water change and I primed the 110 this last time -- even on maximum; what is going on here? Is something blocking the impeller?

Funny thing is, even my bubble wands aren't responding on one side either -- coincidence? Tragic irony? I'll let you decide...

Is the intake tube pushed down tight? If it shifted up a bit and is not getting a tight enough seal then there could still be some air in the tube. Do you see any air on the top part of the tube? It definately should be filling up the reservoir fully.

I agree, I think for some reason it's not getting enough water. Try unplugging it, remove the intake tube, take out that grey plastic piece under the intake tube, make sure the impeller is fully seated, put back together, fill it full of tank water, plug back in. See if that works.

Is the intake tube pushed down tight? If it shifted up a bit and is not getting a tight enough seal then there could still be some air in the tube. Do you see any air on the top part of the tube? It definately should be filling up the reservoir fully.

I pushed the tube down good; doesn't seem to be loose there...

I am uncertain if I see air in the tube...

When you say it should be "filling up the reservoir fully," do you mean water should be loaded to the VERY TOP of the filter? Filled up THAT much? Because right now, it's going just a little over my biomax pellets...

I agree, I think for some reason it's not getting enough water. Try unplugging it, remove the intake tube, take out that grey plastic piece under the intake tube, make sure the impeller is fully seated, put back together, fill it full of tank water, plug back in. See if that works.

I will try unplugging and restarting, but exactly how much water should the filter "box" itself be holding -- should it be filled up to the very top beyond the biomax layer?

It should be as full as it can be. At its fullest, it overflows back in to the tank. Thats about the only way to put it. Both sides (intake and media) will be as full as they can be to the point of overflowing.

It should be as full as it can be. At its fullest, it overflows back in to the tank. Thats about the only way to put it. Both sides (intake and media) will be as full as they can be to the point of overflowing.

I don't really understand what this means; are you saying the water should be filled up all the way to the top of the plastic cover of the filter? Will it even go this high? Right now, it barely covers the top media layer with the biomax rings...

No, not at all. I'm saying that if you take a cup of water and fill up the filter, its going to overflow in to the tank at some point. That is as full as it can get.

No, not at all. I'm saying that if you take a cup of water and fill up the filter, its going to overflow in to the tank at some point. That is as full as it can get.

Oh, okay, so once the waterfall is flowing, that indicates it's all the water it can take/should take? If that's the case, then I filled it up enough because it is in fact flowing...

Yeah, if it's overflowing, its working. You could be right about it having a reduced flow, or you could just be thinking it is when its not. You said it was making a noise that it wasnt before though, right? If you've tried everything I've suggested, I'm all out of ideas. Only other thing I could think of is to remove the impeller and clean it off real good.

Yeah, if it's overflowing, its working. You could be right about it having a reduced flow, or you could just be thinking it is when its not. You said it was making a noise that it wasnt before though, right? If you've tried everything I've suggested, I'm all out of ideas. Only other thing I could think of is to remove the impeller and clean it off real good.

It's making that gasping "whirring" noise, as if it's trying to suck something up that's not there...although it's flowing...

It sounds like you have something stuck in your impeller. Unplug your filter and pull out the intake tube and then pull out the magnetic impeller and rinse it off.

That happened to me everytime I did a water change since I had a sand bottom.

It sounds like you have something stuck in your impeller. Unplug your filter and pull out the intake tube and then pull out the magnetic impeller and rinse it off.

That happened to me everytime I did a water change since I had a sand bottom.

Icey,

I just did a complete shutdown and cleaning of the intake tube and strainer, returned it to the filter, primed it and the noise is as loud as ever -- where should I be looking for this "magnetic impeller"?

Back
Top Bottom