Here's a quick question...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It just depends on the height the lights are above the tank. If a little higher, will not affect the temp of the tank. If down on the glass, it might if it's a higher wattage light.

well i read this article that said a good rule of thumb is 2.5 watts per gallon.....so if i have a 10 gal. tank ...and the lighting hood has two bulbs ...does that mean the two bulbs have to be between 20-25 watts each?? or have add between 20-25 watts between the 2??

Is this for a planted tank? Never heard of the 2.5W thing. If the tank is not planted, then you can use either the incandescents that come in the hood, or use a screw-in florescent. Wattage doesn't matter.

But if it's a planted tank, then you will need the Compact florescents, or the NO florescent hood. Incandescents do no good for plants. Also, if you go over 2w/g, you will need to inject CO2. But this doesn't apply to a 10G because of it's size. With 2 10W CF bulbs, you probably won't need CO2, but if you go up to the 20W bulbs, then you probably will need it.

But as for the 2.5W thing, never heard of it.

well heres the page and info Aquarium Lighting

Aquarium lighting is an often overlooked aspect of keeping a healthy tank. Aquarium lighting does not only effect the coloration of your fish, but even effects such integral things as reproduction. A good rule of thumb is to keep your tank lit at least several hours each day with about 2.5 watts per each gallon. http://www.aquariumguys.com/aquarium-lighting.html well i dont have plants.......

For one thing, if you are going over 2.5W/G with florescents, then algae is going to be a problem. Even without plants. All you need to go with is the standard lighting that comes with the aquariums. The only time you really need to make changes is if you go planted, or saltwater.

If no plants, then whatever comes with the tank. Whether it's the screwin lights or the florescent light strip. Either works just fine.

Yes..

I have the same hood and I use the florescents like those. Just remember, if you use the 50/50 bulb, one of the florescents is going to be your regular light, and the other is going to be blue. When looking in the store, just look for the standard CF screw-in, and not the 50/50.

I think it tells you the max wattage under the hood, 25W or something like that. You can put in any bulb up to that max rating..

I have that exact hood on my new 10G I got from Walmart. Then I took off the bulb shield and put in my 20W bulbs, as my tank is planted. You can leave the shield in with the 10W bulb. My 20W doesn't fit with it in there. Yes, it will work just fine, and is actually a little brighter than the incandescent.

The 10W bulbs will work just fine with most plants in a 10G. I'm just going for some more higher-light, harder-to-grow plants, and will need CO2 injection at this level.

Back
Top Bottom