Hex/Betta Question.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rvijay07

Aquarium Advice Freak
Bettas breed and produce a lot of fry. If, everyone were to keep
Betta in an ideal environment, not many Bettas will have a room. A
compromise, such as Hex etc., means several Bettas can live in a home
under less than ideal conditions, but they all manage to survive for
as long as possible. In this regard can the Hex be good ?

Vijay :?:

Bettas aren't the only fish that breed rapidly. Most fish raise multitudes of babies at a time. In fact almost all do. In fact the best thing isn't to find numerous small homes for them all but in fact to (IMO) be selective with breeding. There are tons of bettas available and they are often over breed. It isn't really necessary to continue to raise 50 more bettas all the time. Some fish like liveberrers there is no controlling, but for a lot of fish there really isn't a reason to breed them.

True, selective breeding is better than housing several in less desirable conditions. Otherwise, more housing will lead only to further increase in breeding.

More breeding leads to weakening of the breeding stocks. Fancy guppies are so overbreed now that they are not the same hardy fish they were years ago. It will not take long before lots of fish head that way.

bettas can be bred up to 6generations without any(or i should less) deforaties/weakening.
I just have one question:
Why would you wanna keep a bunch of bettas in a less then desirable conditions, when they would be better off alone? (is that what u are talking about, or am i just not gettting the point? :oops: )

ashley

By less desirable I mean alone but in a small container. Hope this clarification helps.

tkos said:
More breeding leads to weakening of the breeding stocks.

Can't the reverse happen ? Can't breeding for specific genetic traits increase the lifespan ? Thanks.

Vijay

Not if you have a small breeding stock. And by small I mean genetically related. All of the cheetas in the world are genetically related and can be taken down with a single illness. The problem is that when you buy a betta or any fish you have no idea of the genetic history of the fish unless you buy from a very established breeder.

So you are saying then that wild caught is certainly better than domestic bred. Is this correct ?

No. I am saying that unless there is a need we should practice breeding of fish a little smarter. Not just cause we can cram two sexes of fish into a little tank and say - yippee I breed fish!!! There should be a reason. If the home person plans on selling bettas, then great. But otherwise why do it?

Back
Top Bottom