Hex tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

trkchezz

Aquarium Advice Freak
Well I've never had a hex tank before. Searching for some advice.

What are good fish?

Can you have plants still?

Any other members have hex tanks that could share pictures?

It's a 30 gallon I believe and haven't even started working on what to put in it. To answer some questions I will be doing a fish less cycle and everything needed to get great healthy fish.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1439234346.820108.jpg
    ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1439234346.820108.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 91
The problems with hex tanks us that they offer very little vertical swimming room. I only really like them for terrarium builds for frogs an such as they offer lots of overhead room. Anyway what's the exact LxWxH of the 30?

I had a 45 hex (sorta it was a crazy tank) anyway the height is what got me with it, I'm pretty tall for a girl (5ft 8in or so) an I had to get a step ladder to do proper maitance on it. Plus it was harder to find lights to fit besides the stock light

Because of the smaller footprint I personally would think in terms of layering nano-type fish. Something like sparkling gouramis or clown killies for the top; a mid-level schooler (lots of small tetras, barbs, and rasbora options); group of pygmaeus or habrosus cories for the bottom.

It's definitely tall so I'm not sure about plants, although I've had lots of luck with jungle vals in a variety of different tanks.

I'm not a fan of hex tanks for the reasons others have mentioned. I'm not sure if you'd like this idea, but maybe an all guppy tank?

The deal was too good to pass up and had to do some negotiating with the gf....

I don't have a million guppies in 6 months, of I had a fish that would eat the fry it would work

Imo you could probably do 1 angelfish but idk of they would have enough horizontal swimming space...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Well I've never had a hex tank before. Searching for some advice.

What are good fish?

Can you have plants still?

Any other members have hex tanks that could share pictures?

It's a 30 gallon I believe and haven't even started working on what to put in it. To answer some questions I will be doing a fish less cycle and everything needed to get great healthy fish.

I have a 35 gallon Hex with plants.

Lighting - Kessil A150
Filtration - Eheim Classic 250
Heater - Neptune (Made by Marineland)
Substrate - Floramax, but if I had it to go over with again I would purchase EcoComplete because of the dust
Plants - Amazon Swords (Giant)
CO2 injected via Rex Grigg reactor

Click the link at the bottom to see pictures

What kind of fish do you have? I enjoy the complete eco system with plants, shrimp and fish.

I have a 30 gallon hex tank. It currently has 6 pristellas, 4 cory cats, 2 bolivian rams 1 albino bristle nose pleco and 2 small angel fish in it. I do not have live plants. It has been up and running about 6 months now. I just added the angels a month or so ago, they are still on the smaller side.

Angels are one of the few fish that like vertical swimming space rather than the horizontal swimming space that most fish need.

I would do a single angel in this tank.

Other fish that would work:
Harlequin Rasbora
Tetras
Cory Cats
Bristlenose Pleco
Guppies
Endlers (not with an angel)
Platies
Oto cats (once it's well established)

You will have to lightly stock the tank due to oxygenation issues, but other than that it's ran just like any other tank. An air pump might be beneficial to run. Plants will be fine as well, you just have to get proper lighting if you want anything above low light.

I didn't even think about the oxygen levels with it being such a large vertical tank.

I would like some fish that swim at different levels to make the tank look full.

What kind of fish do you have? I enjoy the complete eco system with plants, shrimp and fish.

I have live bearers, Ghost Shrimp, Neons, and Corys.

I also have some Aponogeton plants...forgot to mention that. For a hex tank I recommend tall plants.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I didn't even think about the oxygen levels with it being such a large vertical tank.

I would like some fish that swim at different levels to make the tank look full.

For oxygenation, I'd purchase an air pump and a bubble wand, and place the wand at the bottom of the tank. A small sponge filter would be an alternative option.

In terms of stocking at different levels, I'd do a shoal of 8 or so Black Neon Tetras or Harlequin Rasboras for the top third of the tank. I'd do a single Angel that will occupy the middle (and roam around pretty much everywhere). I'd do a shoal of 6 or so Corys for the bottom. Sterbai, Brozned, and Three-lined are all pretty hardy and easy (the latter are my favorite).

If you're not going to do bright lighting, Java Fern should work well for the bottom of the tank. If you want a dim tank, float or tether Hornwort at the top.

Good luck.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Would like to do some RCS to help with clean up along the bottom. I've done it before with a few angel fish but that was a 75g tank and had lots of hiding places for them.

I've read my tank would be a little too small for an angel anyway.

Stocking ideas

1-angle
20-30 RCS (lots of hiding places)
5-6 guppies to start

Would like a Bristol nose and a schooling small fish.

Stocking ideas

1-angle
5-6 guppies to start

If you've never kept them be forewarned that plecs are poop machines :hide:

Stocking ideas

1-angle
5-6 guppies to start

I could be wrong, but my guess is that your angel would eat the guppies. The shrimp might not be safe either.

I haven't had a problem with the guppies, but the RCS I have. Why spend the money on something thats going to be hiding all day.

Back
Top Bottom