Hexagon aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Danbocc

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a 40 gallon hex aquarium and was wondering If there are any types of fish that do well in these types of tanks?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium

You have remember that fish are territorial and each species has a different bio load. The inch per gallon does not always apply I would recommend going with community fish allowing them space. The German blue ram and neon tetras for example. I would stay away from cichlids as they are very territorial and can outgrow their space. Other species may include the red fin tetra, platys, dwarf gouramis. A good ratio of males to females is crucial too. For example, if you want three male dgs then you need at least two females. Bottom line, I would go community and do your research as far as size, territory, and temperament. You want your buddies to be happy and comfortable.

Thanks for the reply. The tank has been cycled already and I have some small fish in it neons and red minor tetras. I'm going to be moving them to a bigger 75 gallon tank when i get it set up. Just trying see if there are any species that will be good in my old hex.

I was thinking after I move the fish in it to my other tank. I would put a few angelfish in it.

Angels sound good, possibly a little agro for space but sounds good. I am setting up a 75 too! Can't wait! Good luck.

Something to keep in mind. Hex tanks have very little swimming room. You need to stick with fish that would do ok in a 20g tank as that's basically what you have, except taller.

I really don't think angels would be a good choice for this tank. They get pretty large, and really wouldn't have much room to swim.

mfdrookie516 said:
Something to keep in mind. Hex tanks have very little swimming room. You need to stick with fish that would do ok in a 20g tank as that's basically what you have, except taller.

I really don't think angels would be a good choice for this tank. They get pretty large, and really wouldn't have much room to swim.

Ok angels are out then. I was looking for slow moving fish that didn't need that room to swim. So if anyone has any ideas let more please let me know.

Ok what I meant in that last sentence was if anyone has anymore ideas please let me know.

Back
Top Bottom