Hey everyone! 40 gal aquarium...needs stocking!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PK Tester

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hey everyone! I have not posted for about 8 months, but I miss you all! Lyquidphyre/Katy has me posting again!

Anyhow, I want to stock my 40 gallon Tall Oceanic...

It currently has the following:
Fluval 404
Generic Light (Tons of natural light)
Large natural colored graval
6 feeder guppies
2 heaters

I would really like to plant it...But I just got over a huge algea disaster from all the natural light.

I really need some ideas...I just cleaned it up really good today...and It is still fully cycled and waiting!

Since you won't listen to me over the AIM *snarf*
MY suggestion would be:
2 angel fish
10 Harlequin Rasboras
A few barbs of choice
and bottom feeders

Ha...like I didn't listen to you on AIM :p

But I like your ideas! The angel fish are deff. in!

Planting is an option and actually could help fight the algae as the plants will compete for the unused nutrients that the algae is using. The natural lighting and/or overfeeding could also be something to watch out for as sources of the algae problem.

First step would be to seed the gravel with laterite before you go any farther. This will allow you to plant later even is you do not do it now.

The key for a successful planted tank is to plan ahead for it even if you are not going to do a fully planted tank right away and get the fish established first. Some key issues are:

1.Fertilized-seed your substrate during set-up

2. Lighting- Insure you have adequate daylight bulbs. When I was doing it I only has 80w in a single twin tube and I was harvesting plants every two weeks.

3. CO2-Critical for thriving planted tank. I used a home made system(very inexpensive consisted of 2 liter bottle, yeast, water, and sugar) with tetra C02 chambers I bought.

Here is a link for DIY CO2:

http://members.aol.com/yamatoaquariums/co2.html

As for fish I would suggest:

1-3 small Angels

6 Cardinal Tetras or 6 Rummy Nose Tetras

1-2 Cory Catfish

HTH,

I'd also say some angels to as they are my favorite fish :D I'd also get some Cory's and maybe some rams to put in. Maybe some larger tetras(Serpaes, Columbian, Black Skirts ect.) there is lots of possibilities.
Have Fun and Good Luck :D

I concur with the rams as well. They also look great in a planted tank. Another favorite tetra of mine is the lemon tetra.

Forgot to add try to get a male and female ram if you get them since males will fight well atleast mine always do. I have a pair that fight a bit but not much. Also If you have male and female guppies the angels will enjoy a snack of guppy fry. Also if you go with tetras such as cardinals get the angels as young as possible so they grow up together and the angels don't consider the cardnials food.
Good Luck

Oh wow! Thank you everyone for all of your replies!

As far as seeding my gravel...How would I go about doing that?

I think I will take a picture of my gravel and post it here, so that you have a better idea of what I'm working with.

I really like the Angel Idea...Now it just really depends on what tetras and corries my pet store has.

As far as lighting goes...that may be problem...I have a glass top...with the oceanic light that came with it. It has a BAD bulb...one of those stupid ones that are a purpleish color :-( .

Anyhow I will post pictures shortly!

Thanks for all the advice so far!

i just wanted to put in my two cents for Serpae tetras and corydoras.

here are some pictures!

I think I may start tomorrow...possibly with the addition to the substrate? Any advice on that?

Pics...up.

Attachments

• 100_0225.jpg
    100_0225.jpg
    165.4 KB · Views: 19
  • 100_0226.jpg
    100_0226.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 26
AshleyNicole said:
i just wanted to put in my two cents for Serpae tetras and corydoras.

Oh I'm really leaning towards the Serpae tetras...I would want atleast 6 of them though :-/

I have kinda narrowed it down to...

2 Angels...
6 Serpae Terras...

Now what else would I have room for? This seems kinda like a small amount of fish :-/

rich311k said:
3 or 4 of your favorite cory would be nice or a bristlenose pleco.

Im going to lean towards corys...I have had a lot of plecos die on me...and I really do not like them much :-/.

Now...what type of corys? and Will they be fine with the Angels and the Tertras?

Is the whole 2 or 3 Angel thing a good thing to do? Will they fight or get along?

Anyhow...Thanks for all the advice!

Oh yes...when anyone has anymore advice on the substrate to make it possibly plantable...tell me please! :)

PK Tester,

As for seeding:

1. Drain the water (save it as it can be reused)

2. Use fine to medium gravel and place about 3/4-1" layer in the tank

3. Spinkle in a thin layer of laterite fertilizer purchased at LFS

4. Mix this in with the existing gravel layer

5. Place anoter 3/4-1" layer of gravel on top.

6. Fill the tank Use a bowl or something to minimize stirring the gravel

7. Run the filtration so the water clears

8. Then just plant as desired

This along with proper lighting and possibly a little CO2 and plants will thrive. I had a 75g planted community tank and for about 6 months I was harvesting plants every other week and selling to LFS.

As for lighting you will want to replace your current buld with some sort of Daylight bulb(I would use a 10,000K or a sun glo). Not familiar with how deep your tank is, but you may want to add a 2nd strip light if your current one is an single.

Corys and angels will get along just fine. They probably will hardly even notice each other.

Youy can get any kind of cory you want. No of them get very big. (ok there are a few but they are rare and still don't get that big)

I like pandas and pepper corys.

As for the gravel. Wash it very well, pour it in and mix it with your existing gravel. I think you need to have at least 50% plant growing gravel for it to really help.

Just saw your pics after I posted. IMO, I would look at replacing current gravel with something finer if you want to do live plants.

Good luck,

If you are serious about live plants check into the DIY CO2 Unit that is described in this link

http://members.aol.com/yamatoaquariums/co2.html

You can build one for less than $10 with the Tetra diffusion bell. I use a 2 liter bottle for my mixing chamber.

Let me know if you cannot find the tetra bells. I am not sure if they are still made as it has been a few years since I purchased mine. They would be simple to make as well. I had like 4 that are not being used anymore, not sure if I still have them though as we did a massive clean out a couple of month ago. With the diffusion bell you get a better gas exchange.

IMO in freshwater there is nothing more appealing than a planted tank.

Not sure is you ever saw this thread, but it truly illustrates the point:

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=39189&highlight=

I will not say that my planted tanks were ever this nice, but it sure expands the possibilities

Back
Top Bottom