Hi

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kyle0226

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi I have a 55 gallon tank with angelfish, tetras, mollies, rapheal catfish, a couple danios anyway my question is my tank is present to 78 degrees is that too high??? I actually just bought a new heater that is present to 76 degrees so when it comes I'm going to switch it if I have too and also will it stress the fish if I bring the temp down from 78.6 degrees to 76.5 degrees cuz when I unplug the 78 heater to the 76 heater the temp in my tank will drop slowly but will this hurt the fish at all??? Please someone get back to me

78 is on the higher side but should be fine for the fish mentioned. they will get used to it and be fine in it though. changing the heater isnt nessicary

And a gradual change won't stress them, nor will a change of 1.5 or 2 degrees. I fill my tanks with a garden hose and the temp is prob 20 degrees cooler right now. A lot of the fish, esp my angels, love to chase bubbles and swim in the current, so the temp is no biggie to them

And a gradual change won't stress them, nor will a change of 1.5 or 2 degrees. I fill my tanks with a garden hose and the temp is prob 20 degrees cooler right now. A lot of the fish, esp my angels, love to chase bubbles and swim in the current, so the temp is no biggie to them

Interesting topic...20F cooler and no problems? That is intersting. Thank you all, for your shares.

Well, I'm just throwing that number out there. It's prob not 20. But the water is cold from the outside faucets this time of year. I have big tanks, so a 25% water change doesn't affect the overall temp much cuz of the volume. But a couple of degrees different doesn't instantly give them a seizure or covid either, lol

I regularly don't pay enough attention to the water temperature im adding at water changes and see the tank temperature dropping 2 to 4c ( 4 to 7f) without anything adverse. This is of course a drop in temperature over the time period it takes to refill the tank, not instantaneous. Perhaps taking the fish directly from warmer and dropping it straight into colder water would stress them out more and cause issues.

I regularly don't pay enough attention to the water temperature im adding at water changes and see the tank temperature dropping 2 to 4c ( 4 to 7f) without anything adverse. This is of course a drop in temperature over the time period it takes to refill the tank, not instantaneous. Perhaps taking the fish directly from warmer and dropping it straight into colder water would stress them out more and cause issues.
Yes, I agree. Prob an instantaneous temp swing would not be good. But, my thinking is, if it was so hard on them physically, then why play in the running water and not try to hide at the other end?? Some do. But I think mainly it's because I'm doing something scary. Haha! Sometimes fish are just odd

Back
Top Bottom