hi all what small fish can I have

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jordanlee123

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi every one just got new 12 gallon tank what small fish would do great in it and only set it up to dat and don't worry no fish will enter for about a month haha

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20131003_194526.jpg
    ForumRunner_20131003_194526.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 96
Check out nano fish. I have a 24 and 55 gallon nano fish tank. Due to their small size and tiny bio-load you can have a lot more fish and the tank will look quite active. You can even do some small shrimp with them like Red Cherry Shrimp.

Nano fish I keep but there are many more:

Clown Killifish
Chili Rasbora's
Neon Rasbora's "blue variant"
Irian Red Neon Rainbowfish
Spotted Blue Eyes
Dwarf Anchor Cats
Burmese Rosy Loaches
Pygmy Multi Stripe Loaches
Purple Pencilfish
Celestial Pearl Danio's
Endler's
Ember Tetra's

Tanks alot and my tank is 12 gallon what would you say would be an ideal amount of fish??

Check out nano fish. I have a 24 and 55 gallon nano fish tank. Due to their small size and tiny bio-load you can have a lot more fish and the tank will look quite active. You can even do some small shrimp with them like Red Cherry Shrimp.

Nano fish I keep but there are many more:

Clown Killifish
Chili Rasbora's
Neon Rasbora's "blue variant"
Irian Red Neon Rainbowfish
Spotted Blue Eyes
Dwarf Anchor Cats
Burmese Rosy Loaches
Pygmy Multi Stripe Loaches
Purple Pencilfish
Celestial Pearl Danio's
Endler's
Ember Tetra's

These are great suggestions. :)

Just as an aside, fish in the genus Microrasbora are typically good choices for a nano tank. Chili rasbora are included here, but there are other species that would be cool also.

Hi every one just got new 12 gallon tank what small fish would do great in it and only set it up to dat and don't worry no fish will enter for about a month haha

Congrats, it looks good! (y)
Are you cycling it with an ammonia source, or are you able to seed the filter with some old filter media from an established tank?

You've been given some great suggestions, so you'll have plenty of research to keep you busy while the tank cycles :)

When choosing your stock there are a lot of things to consider, and it can get confusing (and frustrating)

Some of the things you need to consider are:

Do they require soft acidic water, or do they thrive in harder, alkaline water?

Do they like cooler water temps with a high flow, or warmer water with less current?

Do they require a tall tank, or do they need a lot of floor space?

What level of the tank do they mostly inhabit?

Do they have a high bioload (requiring larger/more frequent water changes)

Those are just some simple examples, but may help you to select fish that are most compatible with your tap water, tank shape, and proposed cleaning schedule etc.

Not saying you can't have a mix of fish with different needs, just that they'll be healthier and less stressed (and so will you)

There are SO many things I would have not done, or done differently if I had found this forum BEFORE I set up my first tanks :facepalm:

Good luck, and ENJOY! :flowers:

Hi I'm cycleing with media out of my old 30gallon tank and also have a few of the fake plants in New tank from th old tbank.
And sounds all good fun toe love researching into fish and what they like as like always making the fish happy is number 1 then making thank look nice in good time.

Will update you all on tank when all is done thanks again for all your help

Tanks alot and my tank is 12 gallon what would you say would be an ideal amount of fish??

You could do say a group of 6-8 Spotted Blue eyes (be sure to get at least an even number of males to females) or Clown Killifish for top swimmers, a group or even two schools of middle swimmers such as one group of 8 Chili Rasboras and say one group of Celestial Pearl Danio's or a pair of Scarlet Badis, then for the bottom you could do 6 Burmese Rosy Loaches (these guys are so active and give a lot of movement to the tank). Also in the Rosy loaches the females look different than the males. Here's a picture of one of my male and female rosey loaches.... Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community - Rivercats's Album: 55g Planted- Nano fish - Picture.

It seems like a lot of fish for such a small tank but these fish are tiny with tiny bio-loads. I have around 90 nano fish in a planted 55g tank which seems like it should be super overstocked but these fish are so small and their combined bio-load is next to nothing. My 55g tank with these little guys looks like a stream with a bunch of active little fish darting around. The only thing is you have watch is to first cover your filter intake with a sponge as many are so small they can get sucked right up. Some of my Chili rasbora's are about 3/8 inch long. And also you have to feed appropriate sized foods which have to be very tiny.

Wow thanks andy filter is built in to back of tank all there is some small slits for water to fall threw its lIle a minni sump if I'm right and don't think fish would fit in the slits. I'm doin my tank cycle now so got loads time to fish around for my littler fellas and girls haha

Wow thanks andy filter is built in to back of tank all there is some small slits for water to fall threw its lIle a minni sump if I'm right and don't think fish would fit in the slits. I'm doin my tank cycle now so got loads time to fish around for my littler fellas and girls haha

Oh yes they can fit through those slots. One of our tanks is a Nuvo 24g with the same set up and the fish go right through. I had to find some small opening black latch hook plastic backing and cut it so it had rows of horizontal slits so when mounted against the front of the of vertical overflow slits it allowed the water to still pass though but not the tiny nano fish.

Back
Top Bottom