Hi I'm new here and can use some help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jerseykingpin

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I've been chasing this for a good year now in my 55gal and know one can figure out what's wrong . OK Ammonia is 0 ppm , Nitrates range from 20-40 ppm even after a good water change the Nitrites are 0 everthing else is perfect to . The tank is planted with two sponge filters and a over the back

I'm not sure what you are asking? I just see a bunch of info.

Can you be more specific? Thanks.

Caleb

I've been chasing this for a good year now in my 55gal and know one can figure out what's wrong . OK Ammonia is 0 ppm , Nitrates range from 20-40 ppm even after a good water change the Nitrites are 0 everthing else is perfect to . The tank is planted with two sponge filters and a over the back

It sounds like a beautiful tank to me. What is the problem your having trouble with? Dead fish? Sick fish? Algae? If it isn't broke, don't worry about it. So far it sounds to me like your approach is working just fine :)

Trying to figure out what's wrong and how to fix it . I can't get the Nitrates down and since the Nitrites is at 0 there nothing in the tank to eat the Nitrates . It's like a 2 ended cycled tank and the Nitrates are stuck in the middle and no place to go

Trying to figure out what's wrong and how to fix it . I can't get the Nitrates down and since the Nitrites is at 0 there nothing in the tank to eat the Nitrates . It's like a 2 ended cycled tank and the Nitrates are stuck in the middle and no place to go

Nitrates are the final product of the nitrogen cycle. 40ppm is not a dangerous range but I wouldn't let it get any higher.

Have you tested your tap water for any nitrates? That could be why they won't go down.

Caleb

It sounds like a beautiful tank to me. What is the problem your having trouble with? Dead fish? Sick fish? Algae? If it isn't broke, don't worry about it. So far it sounds to me like your approach is working just fine :)

No dead fish which that would add Ammo fish are healthy Algae is kept under control . Just can't bring down the Nitrates

Nitrates are the final product of the nitrogen cycle. 40ppm is not a dangerous range but I wouldn't let it get any higher.

Have you tested your tap water for any nitrates? That could be why they won't go down.

Caleb
Tap is good The tank should of been cycled along time ago Thanks anyway

I'm starting to think it might be from Parrots dander since I do have a house full

Nitrates are fine at this level and are good for your plants.

If you feel that you must get them down there are 2 ways I think are the right approach for this kind of tank.

1 is more water changes more often. That can be a lot of work.

2 is to use something like this. Costs a little money and takes a few weeks to a few months to get established but after that requires no more action on your part.

Seachem De-Nitrate Filter Media at PETCO

It's just pumice. Bacteria live inside and get rid of the nitrates by turning them back into nitrogen gas. The flow rate has to be right. If your concerned about that just use Seachem Matrix instead. Same thing, bigger size pumice. Flow rate is less important.

In all seriousness though...I think you should stay with what you already have.

Once a week week & 1/2 "15-20 gal " It's not the test kit I have 3

That leaves few options then..

1: overstocking. Nitrates won't go down because the fish bioload keeps it high.

2: lots of waste buildup. Waste can build up in the filter as well if they are not cleaned every so often.

You say the tap water is good and the tank gets pretty good water changes so unless it's one of those 2 above I'm not sure what else it could be unless...

Do you dose nitrates for your plants? They might not be consuming them all giving the constant high reading.

If not it has to be 1 of the 2 above or the nitrate dosing I'm stumped.

Caleb

Nitrates are fine at this level and are good for your plants.

If you feel that you must get them down there are 2 ways I think are the right approach for this kind of tank.

1 is more water changes more often. That can be a lot of work.

2 is to use something like this. Costs a little money and takes a few weeks to a few months to get established but after that requires no more action on your part.

Seachem De-Nitrate Filter Media at PETCO

It's just pumice. Bacteria live inside and get rid of the nitrates by turning them back into nitrogen gas. The flow rate has to be right. If your concerned about that just use Seachem Matrix instead. Same thing, bigger size pumice. Flow rate is less important.

In all seriousness though...I think you should stay with what you already have.
Thanks I tried DR Tim's . I have to see if they have the Seachem in Central Pet
due to I get everything at cost since I own a Bird store I was going to add alittle of DR Tim's Ammoniums Chioride to start alittle recycle but hate to do that to the fish

due to I get everything at cost since I own a Bird store I was going to add a little of DR Tim's Ammoniums Chioride to start a little recycle but hate to do that to the fish

Dr. Tim's one and only does not remove nitrates :) It is the bacteria that causes them :)

Basically...Fish waste makes ammonia which is bad. The nirtifying bacteria (Dr. Tim's or the naturally occurring ones ) turn that into nitrate which is way way less toxic. It is also a plant/algae nutrient. The bacteria that grown in the media I showed you is the same on the outside surface...but on the deep inside surface where there is no oxygen , there will grow de nitrifying bacteria that get rid of nitrate by turning them back into nitrogen gas which will bubble out of the water. It takes time to establish just like the nitrogen cycle did. Also they are not nearly as efficient and it can take a lot of media to get the desired effect.

due to I get everything at cost since I own a Bird store I was going to add alittle of DR Tim's Ammoniums Chioride to start alittle recycle but hate to do that to the fish

Don't add ammonia to a tank with fish. Not good for the fish and won't help an already cycled tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Over feeding can also cause nitrates to be higher, due to increased fish waste and/or uneaten food. You might try cutting down on the amount/frequency of feedings.

Back
Top Bottom