Hi I'm noew and have a little question to run by u all :)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jumpin-Jo

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi every1

I've had a small tropical tank for about 3 years now and had a good water balance as my fish seem happy and the grew really fast when i first put them in my tank. My question is, i'm now getting a new tank which is much bigger, should i save water i drain off my small tank each week to build up a supply of water to put into my new tank as i want to keep the water balance the same so my fish arn't to upset when it comes to moving them to their new home.

Am i doin the right thing here or does anyone know what i should be doing to get my new tank ready for the fish.

Cheers
Jo

Welcome to AA! And good for you for researching how to keep your fishy friends happy during the move. They will thank you for giving them a bigger home for sure.

Have you been doing water changes on the old tank, and are you going to be using the same water for the new tank? If that is the case then you do not need to save the water. If you have not been doing water changes on your old tank (topoffs don't count), then I would suggest starting to do some now so that the fish can adjust to the "new" water. Over time, without water changes, the concentration of waste products, minerals etc. can significantly change the properties of the water from what they were when the water was first added to the tank.

What you will need to do is cycle your new tank. Here is a link to several great articles that explain the nitrogen cycle and how to properly cycle a new tank without stressing your fish. In a nutshell, the beneficial bacteria that live in your tank now and keep your fish happy are not in the water, they are on the surfaces, mostly the substrate and the filter media. Luckily you will be able to seed your new tank with substrate and media from the old tank, which will cut down your cycle time dramatically.

There is more good bacteria in your filter medium than in your tank water. What I do do when I start another tank is take the medium out of the old tank and put it in the new tank. Some fish are more sensitive to changes in the water than others. I find livebearers do well but others like otos, some tetras and cichlids are more sensitive.

Like said your new tank needs to cycle and by far the best source for the bacteria that will get your new tank up and running smoothly is from your old tank.
The filter on your old tank is a start. Do you have room to add the new filter for your new tank to your old tank for a couple of weeks? that's one way.
also Replace your filter cartridge and save the old one, keep it in an old nylon tucked in a corner in your old tank (this will keep the bacteria alive) when you get your new tank set up tuck as much of that used cartridge into any empty space you can in your new filter (you may have to cut it up a bit)
A handfull of gravel from your old tank can also be put in an old nylon and put in the bottom of your new tank for a while. old decorations will have some on it as well. The more bacteria you are able to transfer the faster the tank will be cycled.

Welcome to AA. I`m going to move this thread to the FW forums as more people will be able to see your question. Not everyone comes to the welcome wagon.

Thanks to all of you for your advice and i will follow what u have said :)
I'm sure now i'm a member of this site there will be plenty more questions from me in the future.

Thanks again
Jo

One of the ways you can help jump start the cycling of the new tank is to add the filter you will have in the new tank to the old tank NOW and start letting the new filter build up a supply of bacteria before being moved to the new tank. If you do this, you likely need a minimum of one week to allow any bacteria to build up in the new filter, and the longer you keep it in the old tank the better. Then when you are ready to move to the new tank, take BOTH the old and new filter to the new tank. Leave the old filter in the new tank for at least two weeks, a month would be even better, before removing it to insure your new filter has had plenty of time to build up a bacteria colony.

And as others have said, the WATER in your tank does NOT contain much of this bacteria that you need. The greatest concentration of the bacteria is going to be INSIDE the media in your filter. There will be some additional bacteria on the surface of things in the tank (glass, substrait, decorations). But that's just supplimental bacteria. The bulk of it is in the filter.

Additionally, the reason for doing a PWC is to remove the buildup of nitrate in the tank. It doesn't make much sence to start a NEW tank with water that is old that you were going to throw away. That is sort of like moving to a new house, and the 1st thing you take is all the trash cans... still FULL.

Again, because the bulk of the bacteria you want from cycling a tank is in the filter, it would be better to get two filters going in the old tank, start a second tank with "new" water, then in a single day, move both filters and all the fish to the new tank. Any plants, decorations, and substrait you can move will help a little bit. But even if you don't move anything but the filters, you will likely have nothing more than a mini-cycle in the new tank. Basically, watch the ammonia and nitrite levels in the new tank, do a PWC when ever you see the levels above zero, and within two weeks I bet you don't have to do any more PWC to keep the ammonia and nitrite levels at zero. Of course this assumes you don't add any bio-load to the tank (i.e. no new fish until the new tank is established). From there, the only things to worry about is the fact that things like the temperature and pH of the new tank may not be the same as the old tank. To deal with that, you have two choices. One is to simply acclimate the fish to the new tank as you move them the same way you do when you bring a new fish home... float them in a bag to equalize the temp, then drip water into the bag with 'new' tank water to give the fish time to adapt to the new water. The second option that would be more tricky, but would result in no need to acclimate the fish, is to somehow connect the two fish tanks together. Basically set up some system where the water circulates through BOTH tanks.

Back
Top Bottom