Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-04-2006, 10:29 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Hi temp-broken heater

Noticed the thermometer on my 55 last night was reading 81.....odd I thought, dials on two hydor 150w's set @ ~75. Noticed one had the indicator light on, so I turned it down, thinking that it was not properly calibrated. This am the temp in the tank is still high, and the indicator light was still on.

Pulled the heater out of the tank...seemed heavy. Argggg..

Glass was cracked and full of water. I'm sure it was one of the 1/2" guppy fry body slamming themselves against the heater or....

Anyway, that's the first time I've ever had a heater tube break. And apparently it kept asking for heat. Glad there was no electrical shock thing happening, though I did have the common sense to shut off power before playing with it.

Maybe I'll look into other types of heaters next time around, though this could just be a matter of 'Sh** Happens'.

CH

Old 07-04-2006, 10:36 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Check out the Visi-therm Stealth heaters. They are not glass and will not break like the regular glass heaters. They are also black and easily hidden.

29 Gallon Lake Malawi Fry
55 Gallon Community
150 Gallon Lake Malawi Cichlid
Fishyfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 10:37 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yep. Stuff happens. How old was the heater? If there is one thing splurge on, it's a quality heater. I like the Won Pro Heat II Titanium Tube. Probably the best on the market. The temperature adjustment is located putside the tank making it very safe and convenient.

Tags
broken heater, eat, eater, heater

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com