Hiding

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Marloz

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi,

I’m new here. I have 5 Comet Goldfish but I don’t understand why one of my comet goldfish is hiding in his/her cave. I had him/her for a 3 months and I recently add another 3 more goldfish. Why is he/ her hiding?

This is his/her hiding place

Attachments

• 1786CBAC-018F-413A-AC9D-F6F8CE302A31.jpg
    1786CBAC-018F-413A-AC9D-F6F8CE302A31.jpg
    180.3 KB · Views: 25
Maybe bullying from the new ones? I'm not very familiar with goldfish. Is he eating still? Appear sick? How do they spawn?

No the new ones are not bullying him/her.

He/she still eats and swims around but I sometimes find him/her inside it’s cave. Comes out when I look or walk near the tank

Could be it just feels safer in there. All fish have a different personality, so maybe it's just claimed the pineapple and doesn't want to give it up. Often times there is a tank boss, and the boss gets the best spot. Maybe that's it. Maybe it's Hawaiian. Long story short, I wouldn't worry much about it unless you see some other signs. Prob just normal nesting type or security rupee type behavior

My bumblebee molly that I bought early November has been hiding for 4 days now. Sometimes she would come up for food but now is not eating and remains still. Is she dying? The water parameter is within range, with the exception of alkalinity. It hovers around 60 or so. Should I buy alkalinity up? However the other 10 mollys are fine as usual.

Sounds sick. Do you have a hospital or quarantine tank or some place to move it to?

I was afraid of that. And, sadly no. The only thing I could think of is that my male platy was hounding her for weeks and stressed her out. Ironically, the other female molly is now his prey. I bought them both early Nov. I guess she will go soon then :(

I'm sorry. Alot of times stress will weaken their immune system and leave them susceptible to bacterial or fungal infections. Alot of the problems don't manifest themselves visibly until it's too late. You could try some food laced with antibiotics

I'm sorry. Alot of times stress will weaken their immune system and leave them susceptible to bacterial or fungal infections. Alot of the problems don't manifest themselves visibly until it's too late. You could try some food laced with antibiotics

Food with antibiotics, didn't know there was such a thing! Do you mind providing a link to a specific kind? Maybe I can help save the current molly he is hounding by strengthening her

There's an easy recipe for making it. Aquarium science. Com, Aquarium co-op and Hikari all have a recipe for making it. The one I make uses plain unflavored gelatin, hot water, flake food and antibiotic. Mix it into a paste and refrigerate it to let it set. Then cut it into very small pieces and feed once a day for 7 days. You can do the same thing with general cure as a dewormer for 4 days. It'll keep in the fridge for 2 weeks, or freezer indefinitely

There's an easy recipe for making it. Aquarium science. Com, Aquarium co-op and Hikari all have a recipe for making it. The one I make uses plain unflavored gelatin, hot water, flake food and antibiotic. Mix it into a paste and refrigerate it to let it set. Then cut it into very small pieces and feed once a day for 7 days. You can do the same thing with general cure as a dewormer for 4 days. It'll keep in the fridge for 2 weeks, or freezer indefinitely

Interesting, I'll look into it

Back
Top Bottom