Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-19-2021, 09:40 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Hiding

Hi,

Iím new here. I have 5 Comet Goldfish but I donít understand why one of my comet goldfish is hiding in his/her cave. I had him/her for a 3 months and I recently add another 3 more goldfish. Why is he/ her hiding?

Old 01-19-2021, 11:44 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Newbie

This is his/her hiding place
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1786CBAC-018F-413A-AC9D-F6F8CE302A31.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	180.3 KB
ID:	319422  

Old 01-20-2021, 12:22 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Maybe bullying from the new ones? I'm not very familiar with goldfish. Is he eating still? Appear sick? How do they spawn?
Old 01-20-2021, 12:23 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Maybe he's looking for Gary
Old 01-20-2021, 03:12 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliebankston View Post
Maybe bullying from the new ones? I'm not very familiar with goldfish. Is he eating still? Appear sick? How do they spawn?
No the new ones are not bullying him/her.

He/she still eats and swims around but I sometimes find him/her inside it’s cave. Comes out when I look or walk near the tank
Old 01-20-2021, 05:35 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Could be it just feels safer in there. All fish have a different personality, so maybe it's just claimed the pineapple and doesn't want to give it up. Often times there is a tank boss, and the boss gets the best spot. Maybe that's it. Maybe it's Hawaiian. Long story short, I wouldn't worry much about it unless you see some other signs. Prob just normal nesting type or security rupee type behavior
Old 01-22-2021, 12:36 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

My bumblebee molly that I bought early November has been hiding for 4 days now. Sometimes she would come up for food but now is not eating and remains still. Is she dying? The water parameter is within range, with the exception of alkalinity. It hovers around 60 or so. Should I buy alkalinity up? However the other 10 mollys are fine as usual.
Old 01-22-2021, 12:41 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Sounds sick. Do you have a hospital or quarantine tank or some place to move it to?
Old 01-22-2021, 12:45 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Sounds sick. Do you have a hospital or quarantine tank or some place to move it to?
I was afraid of that. And, sadly no. The only thing I could think of is that my male platy was hounding her for weeks and stressed her out. Ironically, the other female molly is now his prey. I bought them both early Nov. I guess she will go soon then
Old 01-22-2021, 12:54 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

I'm sorry. Alot of times stress will weaken their immune system and leave them susceptible to bacterial or fungal infections. Alot of the problems don't manifest themselves visibly until it's too late. You could try some food laced with antibiotics
Old 01-22-2021, 12:58 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
I'm sorry. Alot of times stress will weaken their immune system and leave them susceptible to bacterial or fungal infections. Alot of the problems don't manifest themselves visibly until it's too late. You could try some food laced with antibiotics
Food with antibiotics, didn't know there was such a thing! Do you mind providing a link to a specific kind? Maybe I can help save the current molly he is hounding by strengthening her
Old 01-22-2021, 01:08 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

There's an easy recipe for making it. Aquarium science. Com, Aquarium co-op and Hikari all have a recipe for making it. The one I make uses plain unflavored gelatin, hot water, flake food and antibiotic. Mix it into a paste and refrigerate it to let it set. Then cut it into very small pieces and feed once a day for 7 days. You can do the same thing with general cure as a dewormer for 4 days. It'll keep in the fridge for 2 weeks, or freezer indefinitely
Old 01-22-2021, 01:21 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
There's an easy recipe for making it. Aquarium science. Com, Aquarium co-op and Hikari all have a recipe for making it. The one I make uses plain unflavored gelatin, hot water, flake food and antibiotic. Mix it into a paste and refrigerate it to let it set. Then cut it into very small pieces and feed once a day for 7 days. You can do the same thing with general cure as a dewormer for 4 days. It'll keep in the fridge for 2 weeks, or freezer indefinitely
Interesting, I'll look into it

Tags
hiding

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com