hiding the guts

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

knowsam

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi,
I've had a few tanks in the past but had to give it up to move for school. School's endding soon so I'm planning a new tank. I've grown planted tanks in the past but always hated being able to see the tubes,heater etc. My next tank I want to have nothing visible. Will a closed loop system allow me to heat, add co2, filter and circulate the water entirely under the tank with nothing visible? I'm familiar with plant basics and the filtration but I haven't used CO2 or a closed loop before.
I want to go a bit larger this time maybe 90-120 gal and I'm going to try for + 1.5 watts/gal.
If the closed loop won't work what will?
Thanks Sean[/quote]

Hey Sean,

A closed loop typically means that you have a drain and a return with a pump in between them. For example, you have a piece of PVC in one end of the tank where the water leaves the system, connected to a pump, which is connected to another piece of PVC which then returns water to the tank (typical closed loop). These are generaly used to add flow.

What you're thinking of, I think, is a sump. Water drains from one tank, on the top level, to a tank/bucket/bin on the bottom level, in a cabinet or something like that. In said tank are the heaters, filters, CO2 thingees, etc. I think you see these more in Saltwater, but I'm not quite sure. (New to freshwater!)

That said, I have seen heaters that attach to a canister filter return line, and you could probably rig something up with the CO2 being jacked into the filter as well.

hth

- Chris

Another idea is a cannister filter with an inline heater. The only thing visible of course is the intake tube and the output tube. The CO2 system will still be visible, not sure if you can do that in a sump and have it going to the tank and be effective. Others may know better on that one.

You plumb aquamedic's 1000 (IIRC) CO2 reactor inline with the return of a canister filter as well. Grow some plants in front of the intake and all you'll see is the return line entering the tank.

I should think the CO2 would disolve better if it was plumbed in the intake, rather than the return though.

Holokai said:
I should think the CO2 would disolve better if it was plumbed in the intake, rather than the return though.

The reactor will have already dissolved the CO2. Then just inject into the output of the cannister.

Ah. Gotcha. I was thinking of my own set up, I'm just putting the bubbles right into the intake, and letting the filter dissolve it.

Some cannister filters may build up a gas pocket in them possibly causing a loss of suction. Might want to keep an eye on this. Doesn't always occur, but some people say it has happened.

I have been tempted with closed loop as well, with an inline heater and CO2 reactor, in a tank with plants as biofilters. To integrate mechanical or other filtration, I think best would be a sump as Chris suggested.

If you want to go themed, either would be easy to make into a river tank (mostly unidirectional current) for fish that like current, such as loaches and rainbowfish. Both look great in a planted tank, but if you do this and want a carpet, let the plants get established before adding the loaches, unless you are extremely stubborn. :)

HTH

Back
Top Bottom