High ammonia

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AngL

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello,

Have a 10 gallon with between 2-4 ammonia. I have been changing about 10% of the water every other day (after removing 50% about a week ago)and the level does not seem to be moving. The only fish in the tank are 2 long finned zebra danios and 2 glass catfish. Had a pleco but we removed him yesterday. Do I need to change more water? I have been using Amquel and the fish seem to be fine but I do not want them to get sick. Any suggestions?:confused:

how long has tank been up and going ? has it cycled? ii use amquel plus i would do a 50% water change then re test

It has been running since August. We have not had any problems until recently. Is it possible to change so much water that I am getting rid of the good bacteria?

the bactiera isnt in the water, it is in your substrate and decor, what kind of filtration are you using ? Have you done a wc and check levels since removing the pleco as they produce a ton of waste ?

I have been vacuuming the substrate when I change the water. The pleco was removed yesterday and ammonia was still high as of this morning. I have a Whisper filter. Should the water be changed with out cleaning? The pleco was so messy that even cleaning the substrate every other day there was a lot that was being pulled out.

1st dont vacum your substrate, thats more than likely why your ammonia is high imo , you sucking all you bacteria, do water changes with vacuming

When should the substrate be cleaned? I do not have an under gravel filter. Will the waste build up after a while?

just do water dont vac every time i vac once a month i do half of tank . then the other half the next month' what ever you do don't change the filter

I do not change the bio filter but I change the chemical filter about once per month. Won't the chemical filter eventually stop working?

i change when water is vary slow and is comes out around intake tube only after i haved cleaned 1 or 2 times

Back
Top Bottom