High Ammonia

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KryptiCouple

Aquarium Advice Freak
We've had our tank established for about 2 months now. Last week, we did a water change of about 75% and ever since our ammonia level has been high. (.5?) We don't have a test kit(we are ordering one this week), but we have one of those tank hangers that monitors pH, temp, and ammonia. We did a PWC this week and it still hasn't come down. So far, the fish don't seem to be too upset by it, but we are trying to get this taken care of before they do become sick and we start losing them. We've been treating for ich, and hopefully will be rid of it soon, if our black neons would cooperate. The ich on them seems to be overly aggressive and doesn't want to go away.

We have 2 - 60gal HOB filters, have rinsed the filters in old tank water. Gravel vac'd it yesterday, although not much came out (we use sand as a substrate). We have 2 air stones running, 1 small and 1 large. Stocked list is in my signature.

Have you tested your tap water for ammonia? If not I'd start there when you get your test kit. Even if your tap has a small level of ammonia though the bacteria should consume it within 12-24 hours. The stick-on indicators aren't very reliable so it could be a faulty reading as well. Without a test kit to test it's hard to know for sure. What treatment are you using for Ich? Some meds can affect the biofilter so that could be an option as well.

We are using Ich Attack, and a higher temperature. When we get our test kit, we will test the water straight from the tap.

Best solution to reduce to 0 ammonia and nitrites

I have a new tank for the last 3 weeks and have been struggling to keep the levels low. I have a Juwel Vision 260 with 7 koi in it. Tried everything to do water changes, ammonia locker, ammonia removers, nitrite removers...nothing worked more than 6-12 hours. I've studied a lot of chemistry online and found the solution for this. Nobody tried this before and i thought to test it. Bought from a store ORGANIC MOLASSES and diluted 2 tablespoons in warm water and put it into the tank. What molases does it's actually as a hyper anabolisant for bacterias. After 8 hours all the level are 0 and they still keep on being like that. One warning though...the water will be REALLY dirty, all brown because that's the colour of molasses. But i have no issue with that until my bacterias will fully develop into an established colony. Here you can see my aquarium levels : https://www.seneye.me/nitaradu# . Yesterday at 19.28 i had 0.208 NH3 levels and 8ppm Total Ammonia with 4ppm Nitrites (last two tested with API test kit). Now all are zero. Hope this will help other people struggling with their aquariums. Please contact me if you have questions.

I have a new tank for the last 3 weeks and have been struggling to keep the levels low. I have a Juwel Vision 260 with 7 koi in it. Tried everything to do water changes, ammonia locker, ammonia removers, nitrite removers...nothing worked more than 6-12 hours. I've studied a lot of chemistry online and found the solution for this. Nobody tried this before and i thought to test it. Bought from a store ORGANIC MOLASSES and diluted 2 tablespoons in warm water and put it into the tank. What molases does it's actually as a hyper anabolisant for bacterias. After 8 hours all the level are 0 and they still keep on being like that. One warning though...the water will be REALLY dirty, all brown because that's the colour of molasses. But i have no issue with that until my bacterias will fully develop into an established colony. Here you can see my aquarium levels : https://www.seneye.me/nitaradu# . Yesterday at 19.28 i had 0.208 NH3 levels and 8ppm Total Ammonia with 4ppm Nitrites (last two tested with API test kit). Now all are zero. Hope this will help other people struggling with their aquariums. Please contact me if you have questions.

I dont mean to go way off topic here, but why do you have 7 decent sized koi in a 65g aquarium? Your molasses experiment may work temporarily but your going to have a plethora of issues attempting to maintain your present situation. Koi do not realistically belong in aquarium settings unless you plan on building an indoor pond for them.

I plan to build an outside pond, so i was thinking it would be ok to keep them in aquarium for 3-4 months. They won't grow that big in this time, and i really like to look at them when staying in the lounge. I want to see if it's temporary or not, but it's been 14 hours since the levels of NH3 and Nitrite are still at 0.

Good luck with your experiment! I am interested to see the results & the science behind it.

Although you may appreciate looking at them in your tank right now, you really need to get them moved to large pond (bare minimum 2000+g) as soon as its feasible for you to do so. They really do not belong in home aquarium settings and their growth and health will suffer as the result.

Back
Top Bottom