Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-16-2014, 01:59 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

High ammonia question

What if your doing water changes to bring ammonia down, but your tap water has ammonia?

Old 01-16-2014, 02:48 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candi1990 View Post
What if your doing water changes to bring ammonia down, but your tap water has ammonia?
You've got a few options. First I would test the tap water multiple times to confirm your findings.

Second, you could use/buy water filtered by reverse osmosis or deionized water. Some lfs provide it for free, some natural food markets sell it for ~.50$ a gallon, and there is always the grocery store. In my area RO water by the gallon is $0.87 each. If you use RO/DI water, you need to remineralize it.

You could also purchase a filtration system for your tap. RO/DI systems are more expensive than buying water to start with, but pay for themselves down the road. Once again, you would need to remineralize the filtered water for your tank.

I'm sure there are other ways to do it, but that's what I have off the top of my head.

Old 01-17-2014, 12:51 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by enrgizerbunny View Post
You've got a few options. First I would test the tap water multiple times to confirm your findings.

Second, you could use/buy water filtered by reverse osmosis or deionized water. Some lfs provide it for free, some natural food markets sell it for ~.50$ a gallon, and there is always the grocery store. In my area RO water by the gallon is $0.87 each. If you use RO/DI water, you need to remineralize it.

You could also purchase a filtration system for your tap. RO/DI systems are more expensive than buying water to start with, but pay for themselves down the road. Once again, you would need to remineralize the filtered water for your tank.

I'm sure there are other ways to do it, but that's what I have off the top of my head.

Thanks! I ended up buying water, but cant keep doing that. I have 4 tanks 165 gal, 50%water change is too much water to lug around. I never tested until now (been about 3 years). It never bothered the fish before i guess i should leave it alone.
Old 01-17-2014, 01:21 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

How much ammonia are you talking about? If your tanks are fully cycled they should be processing out the ammonia within 24 hrs so it shouldn't be an issue. On a mature tank the weekly water changes are more about nitrates typically.
Old 01-17-2014, 01:44 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

I think my problem was when i did a 50% water change and a filter change. Thats when i noticed the sick fish... (In one tank) so i checked all tanks and they were all high.
Old 01-17-2014, 01:46 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

Today i did 50% water again (in one tank). Nitrates are high in them all! Even the ones i changed the water in last week nitrates are topped out. Ammonia 5.0.
Old 01-17-2014, 04:14 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

What is your tap testing out at? I am not trying to harp on this but are you adding a water conditioner to your tanks when you change the water? Also have you tested the tap if so what are the numbers?
Ammo-
Nitrite-
Nitrate-
pH-
Old 01-17-2014, 04:30 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Add prime to your tap water then put it in the tank?

Tags
ammonia, high ammonia, question

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com