Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-03-2013, 10:40 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

high nitrate

So my tank will not clear up and I think it has to do something with the high nitrate. ive been going through alot with this tank trying to get it right and now everything is good except nitrates which were at 100 ppm I did a 45-50% water change and added alittle prime and now its at about 50 ppm should I do another one today or wait a couple of days

Old 10-03-2013, 10:49 PM   #2

I would do another water change to get the Nitrate below preferably 20ppm if you are not using live plants. If you are using live plants I'd say 40ppm would be okay on the higher end, they will use up some of those Nitrates.

P.S. I love having live plants, they really help to keep Nitrates in check and the water quality and clarity looking great.

Old 10-03-2013, 10:52 PM   #3

I love the live plants there great havent noticed the benefits of them yet I have 4 but there pretty new so I should keep the nitrates alittle high for the plant or at 4oppm??
Old 10-03-2013, 11:09 PM   #4

40ppm is okay. Lower would be better though, just don't get rid of all of the Nitrate since it can be beneficial to your plants. On a side note don't be afraid to put plenty of plants in there even when you start out, they help a good bit with water quality.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com