High Nitrate and Nitrite levels HELP

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MikeLani456

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello Everyone

I have had a 20 gallon freshwater fish tank for about 2 and a half months now and i am experiencing some problems with my water parameters. Two weeks ago I changed my filter cartridge and ever since then my Nitrate and nitrite levels have slowly gone up. I have performed several water changes within these past weeks (about 50 % a week) and today my nitrate levels are high but my nitrite levels are extremely high (almost above the max on my tetra testing strips). Today I added tetra safe start to my tank (about 1 cap as directed) and tested the water a few hours later and they were still high. I then went to my local petsotre and they told me to add Seachem prime. I did that about an hours ago. I would greatly appreciate any help I could get form you guys about all of these things, as I really need it.

Thank you

If you physically removed the filter cartridge and placed a new one, then you removed a highly substantial amount of beneficial bacteria. Please confirm that is what you did.

Prime does not remove Nitrites and Nitrates, it only makes the water easier for the fish to be in without dying from Nitrite or Nitrate poisoning. If it were me, I would do daily 50%-75% water changes until the Nitrites get down to zero AND Nitrates go below 30 PPM. Then only make water changes when the Nitrites increase. Once the Nitrites settle at zero, get onto the weekly recommended water changes.

Recommendations:
> clean your filter cartridge with aquarium OR de chlorinated water
> do not leave the filter out of the water for more than 5 minutes. If need to take it out of the tank, place it in tank water for no more than 30 minutes unless kept aerated. If aerated, you can probably keep the filter bacteria alive for a few hours.
> do not change the filter unless it is degrading
> do not remove the filter without having another one in front of the old one (inside the filter) for about a week, which transfers the bacteria from the old filter
> do not do a large water change the same day that you remove an old filter

I am not assuming you did something wrong, rather giving you recommendations from what I have learned from the hobby. I may have missed something and someone may be able to add but feel free to keep updating this thread with updates.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Thank you

Yes i did physically change the filter and put a new one in. Those are very great tips that I will follow. Many thanks to you for your help. Greatly appreciated. Will try to keep you guys posted

And also for future references: Even if the filter cartridge box says to replace every 4 weeks, do I just keep it going for longer if it looks good. Do i rinse, dump in clean water etc. to help it last longer??

Correct. And if the factory cartridges are not lasting at least a few months, consider making the filter yourself by buying polyester pads or rolls. There are other materials but that is the only one that came to mind.

The very best thing to do is go back to basics and read about cycling your tank ...

Cycling refers to establishing the colony of bacteria that change dangerous ammonia to the less dangerous nitrate.

You are currently in an accidental "fish-in" cycle, by removing the friendly bacteria from your filter.

Bacteria 1 converts dangerous ammonia to dangerous nitrite.

Bacteria 2 concerts dangerous nitrite to less dangerous nitrate.

Human gets the nitrate out by changing water :). 50% per week unless maybe you're keeping a very heavily planted tank, which is a whole 'nuther ball of wax.

Prime is only an emergency stop-gap. You really need to do some big water changes and establish a new bacteria colony.

Safe start and other bottled bacteria don't always work -- it's not always the right type of bacteria and they often aren't alive in the bottle any longer.

Sent from my iPhone with three hands tied behind my back.

How is your tank doing? Something we forgot to mention is that you are "technically" doing a fish-in cycle. Another good to know term. :)

Back
Top Bottom