High nitrates

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

skippy426ci

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey all, ever since my Oscar perished I've tried getting a handle on these levels but nothing seems to be working. Ammonia is between 0 and .5, nitrites always 0, but my nitrates are hovering somewhere in the stratosphere, between 80 and 160+ as my kit tops out at 160. Using my test kit it instantly flashes to red when I test it, even after a 50% water change.

I've tried water changes, nitrazorb pads, that yellow goop conditioner stuff that's supposed to lower nitrate levels if used weekly, and none of it seems to have helped. Tested my tap water which showed 0 but it's Lake Michigan water, I assume that'll change with runoff from all the fields. My fish seem okay, the plants not so much but I think I need some co2 in the tank. Even tried feeding once a day, only what they'll eat in a few minutes.

Fish seem happy healthy and even reproducing though.

This is my Yellow goop stuff
cfcc4293b2fc654cd67984781ebbc81a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What type of test kit are you using? It's really odd after a 50% pwc your nitrates aren't any lower if your tap water is at 0. Might it be an error with the test?

I have an Api master test kit for freshwater tanks. I mean if my levels were really that high wouldn't my fish be dying off?

do you follow the instructions?,you know you have to shake bottle 2 for 30 seconds and then shake the test tube for a minute and then leave it for 5 minutes..

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

do you follow the instructions?,you know you have to shake bottle 2 for 30 seconds and then shake the test tube for a minute and then leave it for 5 minutes..

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Good point - I believe it says in the instructions clearly "MUST shake bottle #2 vigorously for 1 full minute immediately prior to adding drops. Then shake vial vigorously for 1 full minute before waiting 5 minutes to read results." Or something along those lines.

But to answer the question - your fish would no necessarily die quickly if your nitrate levels were that high. My understanding is in concentrations of 150 ppm (unless your fish are sensitive to nitrates) it may be more of a slow death...as in weeks/months.

Timed it using the stopwatch on my phone, shook like crazy, everything. They seem healthy, my Raphael and peppermint pleco have been in there since the tank was cycled and they are still doing okay, a year in June.

Back
Top Bottom