high nitrates, even after PWC

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

paytertot

Aquarium Advice Addict
So I do a 40-50% PWC every Saturday and just recently I got the API nitrate test kit and on Friday my trates were at around 15-20 ppm (can't quite remember) and I did the water change and tested a few hours later, and they were at like 40! What the heck?

Test your tap water. It might have nitrates in it. If your tank is planted then plants use nitrate and reduce it to 15-20 ppm.
My tap water is about 40 ppm nitrates. Having 15-20 ppm of nitrates in a tank is not so bad. Some people even say that 40 ppm is ok.

paytertot said:
Yea I was happy with the 15-20 but then it went up. And I tested the tap water and its like 10ppm

Whats your stock and tank size? Are you over feeding?

It's a 55 gal, fully stocked but I keep up on water changes and dont overfeed. And like I said they were lower before I did the PWC

paytertot said:
It's a 55 gal, fully stocked but I keep up on water changes and dont overfeed. And like I said they were lower before I did the PWC

Well maybe the stock is the problem? If you are battling nitrates, it usually points to over stocking

What exactly is in the tank? How many of each fish? What type of filtration do you have?

My suggestion would be to clean out your filter.

Mogurako said:
What exactly is in the tank? How many of each fish? What type of filtration do you have?

My suggestion would be to clean out your filter.

I'm getting ready to get a new tank but I've had this one for over a year and I know it pretty fully stocked. Not overstocked but close. And I just cleaned out my filter last week.

paytertot said:
I'm getting ready to get a new tank but I've had this one for over a year and I know it pretty fully stocked. Not overstocked but close. And I just cleaned out my filter last week.

Sorry, i believe you but we still need a stock list so that we can diagnose the nitrate problem.

Gboy66 said:
Sorry, i believe you but we still need a stock list so that we can diagnose the nitrate problem.

I have 5 discus 5 angels 3 bleeding hearts 4 black skirts and 3 rope fish (like 4 1/2 inches long)

paytertot said:
I have 5 discus 5 angels 3 bleeding hearts 4 black skirts and 3 rope fish (like 4 1/2 inches long)

There's your problem right there, just allot of fish, I'd recommend 50% PWC every other day or every 3rd day to keep levels down.

Well the only thing I'm still wondering about is why they were down before the water change, and up after :blink:

paytertot said:

Im not totally sure about the bioload of a discus, but 5 angels is alot for a 55. Not to mention the discus and the size of rope fish.

IMO its the fish. However, if you have been getting low readings before and this tank has been set up for a year, maybe you tested wrong? I agree, you didnt wait long enough

Gboy66 said:
Im not totally sure about the bioload of a discus, but 5 angels is alot for a 55. Not to mention the discus and the size of rope fish.

IMO its the fish. However, if you have been getting low readings before and this tank has been set up for a year, maybe you tested wrong? I agree, you didnt wait long enough

Yeah I'm gunna wait and test again and see what it says. And yes I know I have a lot of fish haha but they're all happy and healthy and I never have any problems. My nitrates have never been above 40ppm, normally not even 30 so I was just wondering if there was something I hadn't thought of. Thanks all.

paytertot said:
Yeah I'm gunna wait and test again and see what it says. And yes I know I have a lot of fish haha but they're all happy and healthy and I never have any problems. My nitrates have never been above 40ppm, normally not even 30 so I was just wondering if there was something I hadn't thought of. Thanks all.

No prob. Hopefully you can upgrade and get even more discus:)

When you test for nitrates make sure you shake solution bottles well. Give it a good whack. I heard that solution #2 likes to crystalize and settle at the bottom so it is important to shake it very well, otherwise you might get falls result.

Ice Man said:
When you test for nitrates make sure you shake solution bottles well. Give it a good whack. I heard that solution #2 likes to crystalize and settle at the bottom so it is important to shake it very well, otherwise you might get falls result.

Yep it says that in the directions.

Back
Top Bottom