High Nitrite Levels

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Thaiboxer

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Had my water tested today at the LFS... it's a new tank, cycling ~2 weeks. The nitrite levels were really high (not sure of #), and the guy said that I'm probably overfeeding the tank. He said cut back on food, do 10% water change with gravel vac, and let it fall. (also recommended some chemical stuff, but I didn't buy it).

Does this sound correct?

It's a 55 gal with 7 danios and 2 bettas (1 m, 1 f)

Pretty much correct, I'd prolly go 20% change with a 55 gallon, and less food.

Glad you didn't buy the chemicals, in the long run most of them cause more problems than they solve. Just my opinion.

Oh yeah, get your own test kit, they are important to have.

Yep, definitely all about water changes on this one. My guess is that the reason for the high nitrite was the initial common ' Nitrite Spike ' you get, during that stage of cycling.
Do a 20 - 25% water change and things will go as they should be, back to normal.
As CorvusCorax said, you will also need you're own testing tabs kit ( Ammonia, Nitrate, pH etc ) , especially crucial at this early stage.

G

Thaiboxer~

here's where I fpund the best prices for test kits!!
Any online retailer will "match price" too.
Get it~ they make a world of differencehttp://www.bigalsonline.com/cgi-bin/view.cgi

nitrite

I agree with the above. Water changes are the way to go...at least 20%. And get those test kits...ammonia, nitrite, pH, nitrate.
Logan J

Pondwoman, I think you meant to say $29.99 vs $ 9.99 unless you where talking exclusivly about the PH kit.

Also, we have a member selling some kits in the Classifieds section. They are a different brand than the ones at Big Als.

fishfreek
Item #2305 is the AP Master test kit for $9.99

(from bigals)
* The Freshwater Master Test Kit is a complete kit for testing tap water and aquarium water. * Tests water six different ways to protect tropical fish from dangerous water conditions. * Tests include: freshwater pH, high range pH, ammonia, nitrite, GH (general hardness) and KH (carbonate hardness). Kit features 4 test tubes, a holding tray for testing bottles, and test tube rack.
Price: $9.99
ASWO#2305
QTY:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Other Sizes

Yes I know, And when I search item # 2305 This is what I get.

A.P. FRESHWATER MASTER TEST KIT - complete kit for testing tap water and aquarium water

* The Freshwater Master Test Kit is a complete kit for testing tap water and aquarium water. * Tests water six different ways to protect tropical fish from dangerous water conditions. * Tests include: freshwater pH, high range pH, ammonia, nitrite, GH (general hardness) and KH (carbonate hardness). Kit features 4 test tubes, a holding tray for testing bottles, and test tube rack.
Price: $29.99
ASWO#2305

Thanks to some little web hacking I got the direct link as http://www.bigalsonline.com/cgi-bin/view.cgi?inASWO=2305

I did a 20% water change last night, went very smoothly. I'll order a test kit today, or pick one up from the LFS tomorrow or Sunday. I think I'll skip going back to the store I was at yesterday, they're constantly trying to oversell me and their prices aren't that great.

Thanks for all the help everyone!

I got the test kit yesterday, and ran my water through pH (~7.5, maybe a little less, not too bad), ammonia (trace, barely detected at all, very good!), and nitrite (between 4-5 ppm, seems very high!).

After the test I did a 20% water change and tested again, it was a little lower but still high. I'm 2 weeks into my cycle, and from what I read of the Nitrogen cycle this is somewhat normal? I'm still a little concerned because that's awfully high...

I added a bit of stress-zyme, a sample for a 10 gallon came free with the test kit. I have a 55 gallon so I'm sure it won't make a huge difference, but maybe worth doing.

I guess I just have to wait a while - the bacteria double every 13 hours? I'm hoping it comes down over the next 10-11 days so I can get some more fishies!

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks!

PS - my 7 zebra danios look very happy, and they're growing FAST! I also have a M and F betta in there, male is active and happy, female just hides on the bottom. I did notice that after the water change, everybody was hanging out lower in the tank - beforehand the Danios were staying near the top. I'm assuming this is because they breathe better with lower nitrites?

This sounds about right for the nitrite 'spike' that follows the ammonia 'spike'. It shouldn't be long b4 the nitrite levels drop off suddenly. I have a 5 gallon tank, which took approx 3 weeks to cycle completely. Just keep an eye on those nitrite and pH levels!! don't overfeed your fish, as it will overburden the bacteria. I tryed not to do a water change (unless absolutely necessary, as it dilutes the bacteria cycling in your tank (i use stresszyme myself, very useful product, but may cause a false ammonia spike, this shouldn't last more than a couple of days). Hope this helps!! :wink:

Thanks! I've been a little lost but I'm getting it better now.

The guy at the LFS said the same - don't change water while cycling if you can help it, and he suggested having the fish fast for 2-3 days. I've been feeding them very little, went one day with no food at all. The nitrites are still up there, but I expect they'll come way down in the next 6-7 days according to what I've read.

Thanks!

Thaiboxer~

Just courious as to whether ya got your nitrites under control??
I'm in the same situation as you were. HIGH nitrites!!

How about that testkit? Get one yet?
The reason why it showed $29.99 was that was the Canadian site.
If you go to bigalsonline home page, they have united states & canada.
US is cheaper.
Let me know how your NitrItes are doing!!

As of this weekend, the nitrites are FINALLY coming down. I did get a test kit about 10-12 days ago, bought it at an LFS because I was too impatient to wait for shipping :lol: I know I overpaid, but it was worth getting it right then.

As for testing... my pH is good, maybe a little high at ~7.4 but I don't think that will hurt anything I have. It's just tap water. Since I got the test kit, my ammonia has been ~0.0 the whole time, no worries.

My nitrites went from (I'll sum up the test) - to run the test, you take the little test tube, fill it to the line with water, then put 5 drips of nitrite tester in it. Shake it, wait 5 minutes. The more purple the test water, the higher your nitrites. My 3 recent tests:

- 2 weeks ago. Took test water, put 5 drops in, instant puple! (ouch)
- 1 week ago. It took about a minute to go purple, but still very very high.
- yesterday. Didn't turn purple until the end of the test, and not very purple. About 4 ppm I think. Still high, but coming down very quickly now.

I'm anticipating adding fish on Thursday. I figure a day or two more for nitrite drop, then the holiday, then add fish. I can't wait! :lol:

PS - I think part of my problem was the de-chlorinator I used early on. It's an ammonia-something or other, and I think it slowed my ammonia cycle, so the nitrites spiked late and lasted longer because of it. Next time, I may add stresszyme, but I don't think I'll use anything else.

Thanks for following up!

I got frustrated with the fishless cycle so I drained,refilled, drained again, refilled again, then added my 6 jumbo Danio's.
My ammonia is 0 but my nitrites are about 2ppm.
I have the same testkit as you...5 drops :)
It sure will be fun once the tank is cycled :BIG:

Have fun, enjoy &
HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!!

Yesterday I checked my water again - Ammonia and Nitrites were down to 0, pH was 7.4. I got a bunch of new fishies last night!

8 rummynose tetras
4 guppies (1 male, 3 females)
2 gouramis

They're great! I'll post pictures in the photography thread this weekend!

I've had good luck with Dr. Wellfish's test kit so far. My Nitrates spikes have usually been from overfeeding as I fine tune it with new fish. Normally, when you determine the proper feeding amounts (easier said then done when you have a variety of foods for a variety of fish) the Nitrate problems take care of themselves. A partial water change will help. Instead of 20% at one time, I have had better luck with 2 10% changes over 2 days to adjust Nitrate levels.

Since I added the heater to the aquarium(3 days ago) my nitrItes have dropped to 0!!
I'm so excited as now I can add more fish :D :D :D

Oh what a feeling of a cycled tank!!(and exactly 1 month for a 120gal)

HAVE A GREAT DAY :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Back
Top Bottom