High nitrites in my 55 gal.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

esso1001

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a 55 gal that has been running for 2 months now, it has 5 tiger barbs, 3 odessa barbs, 2 gouramies, 1 zebra louch, 1 tattoed loach, 1 red tail and 1 albino shark. My nitrites have been real high for 2 weeks now, my ammonia is 0 and nitrates are .4 i have been doing 25 percent water changes weekly and added aquarium salt to help with the nitrites. can any one help plzz... I forgot to add that im running a aqua 30-60 filter with a water heater set at 78.

Last edited:
I have a aqua 30-60 that came with the tank when i purchased it. Came as a combo. Can it be that my tank is still cycling?

Its possible that the filtration isn't keeping up with the bioload so what you are seeing may be "mini cycles".

You could also not be fully cycled yet. I'm not the cycling expert, but you should be converting any ammonia within 24 hours.

Have you been testing all along? Did you start the cycle with fish?

Yes i started with the tiger barbs. i have been testing everyday since the nitrites popped up. There are no signs of ammonia just nitrites and .4 of nitrates..

I started my cycle with 2 skirt tetras and it took almost two months to cycle. After a month it seemed like it hadn't even started. I used a bacterial additive on recommendation from the LFS, and within a week I got a huge Nitrite spike. I have a feeling that is where you are now. Mine literally dropped overnight after about two weeks so just be patient. Sounds like you are almost there.

Sounds good. Thanks for replying. Its my first time on this forum.. I appreciate it.

I agree with The Jam-is-on that you are in the nitrIte spike phase of your cycle. It indicates your tank is pretty close to being stabilized and cycled...but it is arguably also the most dangerous time for your fish. Make sure you monitor the levels daily and perform pwc's as needed to keep the no2 level under .25 at all times. Are you using test strips or liquids? If strips, I recommend picking up an API Master Kit to keep accurate readings, and a bottle of Seachem Prime to use as you water conditioner will also help by temporarily neutralizing ammo and nitrItes for 24-36 hours to buy your fish some time between water changes.

Here's a great guide that can help you (and your fish) get through the rest of the process :)
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...-but-i-already-have-fish-what-now-116287.html

I agree with The Jam-is-on that you are in the nitrIte spike phase of your cycle. It indicates your tank is pretty close to being stabilized and cycled...but it is arguably also the most dangerous time for your fish. Make sure you monitor the levels daily and perform pwc's as needed to keep the no2 level under .25 at all times. Are you using test strips or liquids? If strips, I recommend picking up an API Master Kit to keep accurate readings, and a bottle of Seachem Prime to use as you water conditioner will also help by temporarily neutralizing ammo and nitrItes for 24-36 hours to buy your fish some time between water changes.

Here's a great guide that can help you (and your fish) get through the rest of the process :)
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...-but-i-already-have-fish-what-now-116287.html

/\ Listen to this guy! It's where all of my info came from :)

esso1001 said:
I have a aqua 30-60 that came with the tank when i purchased it. Came as a combo. Can it be that my tank is still cycling?

It is very likely each system is different so talk longer then others to fully cycle

Back
Top Bottom