High No3's!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Obeyposse

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello!

I have a 75 gallon freshwater fish tank. My ammonia level has consistently been at 0 ppm, which is great! However, the no3 level in my tank is above 80 ppm! Lately, I have noticed the water in the tank has been cloudy- which has never been an issue. A week ago I took out 50% of the water to bring down the no3's and try and clear the cloudiness. The water looked great for a few days, but now it is cloudy again! I did a water test today to see if the no3's went down and they have not. Prime hasn't helped bring down the no3 levels at all.

Suggestions? I read online live bacteria may help, like Microbe-life- Nite-Out II. I have used this product in the past, but it's been awhile.

Also- weekly I top off the tank when the water evaporates in the tank. Is this ok? I read online that topping off the aquarium to replace evaporated water increases toxicity concentration as toxins do not evaporate. Is this true?

Any help is very much appreciated!

:thanks:

If it's a bacteria plume you have to treat the water, adding clean water only makes it grow.

Sent from my SM-G360T1 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Keep the water you have and treat it don't add any more.

Sent from my SM-G360T1 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Hello!

I have a 75 gallon freshwater fish tank. My ammonia level has consistently been at 0 ppm, which is great! However, the no3 level in my tank is above 80 ppm! Lately, I have noticed the water in the tank has been cloudy- which has never been an issue. A week ago I took out 50% of the water to bring down the no3's and try and clear the cloudiness. The water looked great for a few days, but now it is cloudy again! I did a water test today to see if the no3's went down and they have not. Prime hasn't helped bring down the no3 levels at all.

Suggestions? I read online live bacteria may help, like Microbe-life- Nite-Out II. I have used this product in the past, but it's been awhile.

Also- weekly I top off the tank when the water evaporates in the tank. Is this ok? I read online that topping off the aquarium to replace evaporated water increases toxicity concentration as toxins do not evaporate. Is this true?

Any help is very much appreciated!

:thanks:

High nitrates are a sign that either you have to many fish/fish too large for your aquarium, you are feeding to much or a combination of both. If this is the case you need to either reduce the bioload, cut down on feelings or increase the volume and/or frequency of your water changes. Adding live plants may help also.

There is also a possibility that you have nitrates in your tap water so test that too.

FYI prime doesn't remove nitrates it just binds them to reduce toxicity so they will still show up on the test.

If you do top offs then you can either use RODI water or add more live plants as they will tank up and remove heavy metals etc. a 50% weekly water change would prevent anything from building up in the long run.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

You mentioned top offs but what is your water change schedule? What is your stocking list? How much and how often are you feeding?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom