High Output T5 Lighting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

davidrostron

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi all i have a new setup 6x2x2 tank i was told that t5 lighting would be better then t8.
i am having over 160 coldwater plants i was told to uses t5 lighting and the new T5 Plant Pro because of my depth.
but theses tubes are only 115 long. my tank is 6foot would i still get good lighting though out the tank. using Fluorescent Reflectors.
Thanks
David :D

Any T5 bulb with work. If you are going to be heavy into plants, you will probably want a mixture of 6700k and 10,000k bulbs. Look for some of those in the 6 ft length. If you haven't already done so, can you just buy 2 3 ft fixtures?

All depends on the plants. If they are lower light plants, then T-5's or T-8's will work just fine. But if you have plants that are of a higher light type, then you may want to look into the CF's that use either the 65W, 96W, or the 130W CF bulbs. And remember that if you are going to put more light into the tank, you may be required to add Pressurized CO2 as well, and also dosing other nutrients. Or you may get overwhelmed with algae. Look in the stickies. Lots of great info there.

you may be required to add Pressurized CO2 as well, and also dosing other nutrients. Or you may get overwhelmed with algae.

I disagree with that part of the statement. Below is a picture of my t-5 HO lighting on a 20gallon long tank. Just under 4 wpg and I do not dose nor have pressurized co2. I do however, dose with excell a couple times a week if I remember to do so. I do not have nuisance algae issues.

Attachments

• 20gallon_110.jpg
    20gallon_110.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 104
Lonewolfblue said:
All depends on the plants. If they are lower light plants, then T-5's or T-8's will work just fine. But if you have plants that are of a higher light type, then you may want to look into the CF's that use either the 65W, 96W, or the 130W CF bulbs.

HO T-5's (like the OP's title says) put out quite a bit of light. They are comparable to CF bulbs.

Hara, your tank would be the exception in the planted realm. Having 4 WPG without dosing ferts and CO2 is screaming algae under normal conditions. I would never tell someone to run with that much light without the caution LWB mentions. BTW, what bulbs and fixture are you running on that 20 gallon tank?

While I fully understand what you are saying, I believe that if more folks tried it, more and more would realize that it is not a situation where mandatory fertilization and co2 is required. When folks step out of the rut of "it must be done this way" and start experimenting, I think that alot of eyes would open up to a realization of a multitude of different successful ways of doing things.

This hobby is too interesting to be narrow-minded about the ways to be successful. Step out and step up...be brave and experiment. I am not saying I can grow every plant there is to grow. I have however, found a huge assortment that I can grow (More then I have room for), and so I have achieved success in my minds eye. Something I consider to be a nice tank, with very minimal cost and almost zero effort. That to me is an enjoyable hobby!

Edited to add: I didnt see the question on the lighting..it is a 78 watt odyssey fixture.

Planting

Hi thanks for the information today i have order the aqualine T5 Plant Grow. 80watts
I am thinking of Combine the aqualine T5 Reef White 10K
Has well
giving the aquarium a brilliant natural appearance.

Back
Top Bottom