Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-17-2011, 06:51 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

high ph

Can most tropical community fish tolerate a high ph? My second 29 gallon has a ph that is off the API chart, so I'm not sure how high it actually is. What sort of stocking ideas?

Old 08-17-2011, 06:54 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reygan2
Can most tropical community fish tolerate a high ph? My second 29 gallon has a ph that is off the API chart, so I'm not sure how high it actually is. What sort of stocking ideas?
Yes. Well, it actually depends. If it's like 8.8 then I would say no because thats beyond ridiculously high. But if it's moderately high like at 7.6 or 8.2 even it should be fine. Most fish will be fine in whatever water you keep them in (there are however a few fish that are exceptions to the rule).

Old 08-17-2011, 06:58 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

I'm just concerned because the results are so dark blue..quite a bit bluer than 7.6.
Old 08-17-2011, 07:06 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
I'm just concerned because the results are so dark blue..quite a bit bluer than 7.6.
If it's an API Freshwater Master Test Kit, it should come with an additional pH tester that will test for pH that is 7.4 or higher.
Old 08-17-2011, 07:16 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

Sounds like you need a different test kit. My fish do fine in 8.2 - 8.4. Stability is more critical.
Old 08-17-2011, 07:33 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Mine is 8/8.2 and I have goldfish... Bettas... Angels... Rummynose tetras... Corycart ( 7 tanks)

I think my grandmas is even higher it was a weird purple color. I wanna 8.8 I could be reading wrong but the color does not match anything on the high card and to high for the reg. I need to check it out of her tanks.

She has 2 tanks with angels... Neons... Gouramis... Plecos... All sorts of fish. She
Old 08-17-2011, 07:34 PM   #7
Daphnia are People Too.
Community Moderator

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumpnfishy View Post
Sounds like you need a different test kit. My fish do fine in 8.2 - 8.4. Stability is more critical.
Yep. Stability is key.
Old 08-17-2011, 09:04 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by absolutangel04
Yep. Stability is key.
Yeah and acclimating
Old 08-18-2011, 08:22 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

so should I use the "drip" acclimating technique? I remember reading about on here, but I don't remember how to do it. Can anyone post a link to instructions?
Old 08-18-2011, 09:00 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Oh yeah! I am happy to announce that after weeks of seemingly endless bucket carrying..my water has maintained a safe 0 amm, 0 trIte, and .5 trAte testing results for 3 days now (in my first tank/fish in cycle) thanks to the wonderful advice here. I could have saved myself sooo much work if I'd known about fishless cycling. I half to mention that through the entire process my nitrIte would fluctuate from purple to light blue, but even at light blue it didn't quite match the light blue on the API chart until 3 days ago. That was the most beautiful blue I've ever seen lol...I've already tested again this morning just to make sure I wasn't dreaming! Now I'm terrified to touch anything. I haven't vacuumed since the tank was built which was over a month ago. Should I vacuum a portion of it?
As of now I have:
29 gallon
no live plants (that will be my next venture)
1 flame DG
3 black tetras
4 neon tetras
looking for some panda cory's to add
Old 08-18-2011, 09:04 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Btw, my ph in my first tank is a steady 7.6, my other tank is in my classroom, and the school is near a water treatment facility. I was told that could be why the ph is so high. I hadn't thought of doing a high range ph test, I guess I need to do that. I am currently soaking a piece of dw to add....maybe in time it will help??
Old 08-18-2011, 02:30 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Btw, my ph in my first tank is a steady 7.6, my other tank is in my classroom, and the school is near a water treatment facility. I was told that could be why the ph is so high. I hadn't thought of doing a high range ph test, I guess I need to do that. I am currently soaking a piece of dw to add....maybe in time it will help??
Congrats on the cycle. Drip acclimation is the best. I temp adjust ( float bag 15 mins) which is probably not even necessary. Then I put the fish bags in a bucket or u can pour them Gently in a clean bucket( I like to keep them in the bag). I use an hair hose stick one end in the tank and one in fish bag and adjust the drip. ( few drips a second. mins depend on sensitivity of fish or speed of drip. No less then 30 mins IMO) every few mins remove water out of the bag so that they wind up in tank water. I use a turkey Baster to remove the water out of the bag and put it in the bucket around the bag...

Hope that helps )

Oh and I tie a knot or 2 in the tube to adjust the drip... Lol forgot that part
Old 08-18-2011, 03:53 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Activist

As a couple have suggested, make sure you drip acclimate the fish in that high of pH and they'll do just fine =].
Old 08-18-2011, 04:47 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flossie View Post
Congrats on the cycle. Drip acclimation is the best. I temp adjust ( float bag 15 mins) which is probably not even necessary. Then I put the fish bags in a bucket or u can pour them Gently in a clean bucket( I like to keep them in the bag). I use an hair hose stick one end in the tank and one in fish bag and adjust the drip. ( few drips a second. mins depend on sensitivity of fish or speed of drip. No less then 30 mins IMO) every few mins remove water out of the bag so that they wind up in tank water. I use a turkey Baster to remove the water out of the bag and put it in the bucket around the bag...

Hope that helps )

Oh and I tie a knot or 2 in the tube to adjust the drip... Lol forgot that part
Thanks for the details..I'm going to do that for my fish at school. I shouldn't need to at home with a ph of 7.6 right?
Old 08-18-2011, 04:50 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash081 View Post
As a couple have suggested, make sure you drip acclimate the fish in that high of pH and they'll do just fine =].
Silly question...but are goldfish also sensitive to significant ph changes? I'm thinking of adding 2 fancy goldfish to my second tank.
Old 08-18-2011, 07:38 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

It's the best acclimation process for any ph and any fish.Seeing ph varies... However, That's up to u. Ppl have different acclimation processes around here. Drip is highly recommended

Goldfish are hardy but ph swings can be dangerous to any fish even GF.

Once fish are acclimated properly then most any should be ok in ur ph )

I have GF And love them. Remember 20g for the first gold fish and 10g for each additional GF. Then they should be fine
Old 08-18-2011, 07:46 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Thanks, I still can't make up my mind. I've had GF before (Oranda's, Fantails, Black Moors) and that is what I fully intended to put in my tanks, but I've become quite smitten with some tropical fish. I'm loving my DG, but he is so shy. I've only had him for two days though. Will he become more comfy soon, or do they tend to be hiders?
Old 08-18-2011, 07:48 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Also, what goes well with DG's? I've been told I can have more and I've been told I shouldn't. Any replys/opinions would be appreciated.
Old 08-18-2011, 08:00 PM   #19
come get me tang police!

Congrats. I wouldn't vacuum anything unless you see a buildup, personally. I'm with you on the 'if it aint broke don't fix it' mentality.

As far as drip acclimation goes, I've done it for some fish, I think in most cases it's unnecessary, but there's nothing wrong with it, and it's definitely a way to play it safe when adding new stock, so go for it.

As far as what goes with DGs, I've kept a myriad of different community fish with my honeys, so I think you are fine with a lot of different things.
Old 08-18-2011, 08:13 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetajockey View Post
Congrats. I wouldn't vacuum anything unless you see a buildup, personally. I'm with you on the 'if it aint broke don't fix it' mentality.

As far as drip acclimation goes, I've done it for some fish, I think in most cases it's unnecessary, but there's nothing wrong with it, and it's definitely a way to play it safe when adding new stock, so go for it.

As far as what goes with DGs, I've kept a myriad of different community fish with my honeys, so I think you are fine with a lot of different things.
How many DG's would you recommend for a 29g with 4 neons, 4 blk tetras, and 1 DG?

Tags
high ph

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com