Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 08-17-2011, 06:51 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Reygan2's Avatar



Tank of the Month Award
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Western NC
Posts: 1,776
high ph

Can most tropical community fish tolerate a high ph? My second 29 gallon has a ph that is off the API chart, so I'm not sure how high it actually is. What sort of stocking ideas?
__________________

__________________
Reygan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 06:54 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
bruinsbro1997's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: California Coastline
Posts: 5,663
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reygan2
Can most tropical community fish tolerate a high ph? My second 29 gallon has a ph that is off the API chart, so I'm not sure how high it actually is. What sort of stocking ideas?
Yes. Well, it actually depends. If it's like 8.8 then I would say no because thats beyond ridiculously high. But if it's moderately high like at 7.6 or 8.2 even it should be fine. Most fish will be fine in whatever water you keep them in (there are however a few fish that are exceptions to the rule).
__________________

__________________
"If you're not making mistakes, then you're not doing anything. I'm positive that a doer makes mistakes."
--John Wooden
bruinsbro1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 06:58 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Reygan2's Avatar



Tank of the Month Award
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Western NC
Posts: 1,776
I'm just concerned because the results are so dark blue..quite a bit bluer than 7.6.
__________________
Reygan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 07:06 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
bruinsbro1997's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: California Coastline
Posts: 5,663
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reygan2
I'm just concerned because the results are so dark blue..quite a bit bluer than 7.6.
If it's an API Freshwater Master Test Kit, it should come with an additional pH tester that will test for pH that is 7.4 or higher.
__________________
"If you're not making mistakes, then you're not doing anything. I'm positive that a doer makes mistakes."
--John Wooden
bruinsbro1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 07:16 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
sumpnfishy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Indianapolis
Posts: 140
Sounds like you need a different test kit. My fish do fine in 8.2 - 8.4. Stability is more critical.
__________________
The Fishroom project
sumpnfishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 07:33 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Flossie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Tx
Posts: 1,906
Mine is 8/8.2 and I have goldfish... Bettas... Angels... Rummynose tetras... Corycart ( 7 tanks)

I think my grandmas is even higher it was a weird purple color. I wanna 8.8 I could be reading wrong but the color does not match anything on the high card and to high for the reg. I need to check it out of her tanks.

She has 2 tanks with angels... Neons... Gouramis... Plecos... All sorts of fish. She
__________________
So God created great sea creatures and every living thing that scurries and swarms in the water
Flossie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 07:34 PM   #7
Daphnia are People Too.
Community Moderator
 
absolutangel04's Avatar



POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Lincoln, NE
Posts: 8,886
Quote:
Originally Posted by sumpnfishy View Post
Sounds like you need a different test kit. My fish do fine in 8.2 - 8.4. Stability is more critical.
Yep. Stability is key.
__________________
Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, but thankfully they both led to fish stores.
absolutangel04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 09:04 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Flossie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Tx
Posts: 1,906
Quote:
Originally Posted by absolutangel04
Yep. Stability is key.
Yeah and acclimating
__________________
So God created great sea creatures and every living thing that scurries and swarms in the water
Flossie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 08:22 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Reygan2's Avatar



Tank of the Month Award
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Western NC
Posts: 1,776
so should I use the "drip" acclimating technique? I remember reading about on here, but I don't remember how to do it. Can anyone post a link to instructions?
__________________
Reygan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 09:00 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Reygan2's Avatar



Tank of the Month Award
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Western NC
Posts: 1,776
Oh yeah! I am happy to announce that after weeks of seemingly endless bucket carrying..my water has maintained a safe 0 amm, 0 trIte, and .5 trAte testing results for 3 days now (in my first tank/fish in cycle) thanks to the wonderful advice here. I could have saved myself sooo much work if I'd known about fishless cycling. I half to mention that through the entire process my nitrIte would fluctuate from purple to light blue, but even at light blue it didn't quite match the light blue on the API chart until 3 days ago. That was the most beautiful blue I've ever seen lol...I've already tested again this morning just to make sure I wasn't dreaming! Now I'm terrified to touch anything. I haven't vacuumed since the tank was built which was over a month ago. Should I vacuum a portion of it?
As of now I have:
29 gallon
no live plants (that will be my next venture)
1 flame DG
3 black tetras
4 neon tetras
looking for some panda cory's to add
__________________
Reygan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 09:04 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Reygan2's Avatar



Tank of the Month Award
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Western NC
Posts: 1,776
Btw, my ph in my first tank is a steady 7.6, my other tank is in my classroom, and the school is near a water treatment facility. I was told that could be why the ph is so high. I hadn't thought of doing a high range ph test, I guess I need to do that. I am currently soaking a piece of dw to add....maybe in time it will help??
__________________
Reygan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 02:30 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Flossie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Tx
Posts: 1,906
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reygan2
Btw, my ph in my first tank is a steady 7.6, my other tank is in my classroom, and the school is near a water treatment facility. I was told that could be why the ph is so high. I hadn't thought of doing a high range ph test, I guess I need to do that. I am currently soaking a piece of dw to add....maybe in time it will help??
Congrats on the cycle. Drip acclimation is the best. I temp adjust ( float bag 15 mins) which is probably not even necessary. Then I put the fish bags in a bucket or u can pour them Gently in a clean bucket( I like to keep them in the bag). I use an hair hose stick one end in the tank and one in fish bag and adjust the drip. ( few drips a second. mins depend on sensitivity of fish or speed of drip. No less then 30 mins IMO) every few mins remove water out of the bag so that they wind up in tank water. I use a turkey Baster to remove the water out of the bag and put it in the bucket around the bag...

Hope that helps )


Oh and I tie a knot or 2 in the tube to adjust the drip... Lol forgot that part
__________________
So God created great sea creatures and every living thing that scurries and swarms in the water
Flossie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 03:53 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: MI
Posts: 170
As a couple have suggested, make sure you drip acclimate the fish in that high of pH and they'll do just fine =].
__________________
Flash081 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 04:47 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Reygan2's Avatar



Tank of the Month Award
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Western NC
Posts: 1,776
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flossie View Post
Congrats on the cycle. Drip acclimation is the best. I temp adjust ( float bag 15 mins) which is probably not even necessary. Then I put the fish bags in a bucket or u can pour them Gently in a clean bucket( I like to keep them in the bag). I use an hair hose stick one end in the tank and one in fish bag and adjust the drip. ( few drips a second. mins depend on sensitivity of fish or speed of drip. No less then 30 mins IMO) every few mins remove water out of the bag so that they wind up in tank water. I use a turkey Baster to remove the water out of the bag and put it in the bucket around the bag...

Hope that helps )


Oh and I tie a knot or 2 in the tube to adjust the drip... Lol forgot that part
Thanks for the details..I'm going to do that for my fish at school. I shouldn't need to at home with a ph of 7.6 right?
__________________
Reygan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 04:50 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Reygan2's Avatar



Tank of the Month Award
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Western NC
Posts: 1,776
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash081 View Post
As a couple have suggested, make sure you drip acclimate the fish in that high of pH and they'll do just fine =].
Silly question...but are goldfish also sensitive to significant ph changes? I'm thinking of adding 2 fancy goldfish to my second tank.
__________________
Reygan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 07:38 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Flossie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Tx
Posts: 1,906
It's the best acclimation process for any ph and any fish.Seeing ph varies... However, That's up to u. Ppl have different acclimation processes around here. Drip is highly recommended


Goldfish are hardy but ph swings can be dangerous to any fish even GF.

Once fish are acclimated properly then most any should be ok in ur ph )

I have GF And love them. Remember 20g for the first gold fish and 10g for each additional GF. Then they should be fine
__________________
So God created great sea creatures and every living thing that scurries and swarms in the water
Flossie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 07:46 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Reygan2's Avatar



Tank of the Month Award
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Western NC
Posts: 1,776
Thanks, I still can't make up my mind. I've had GF before (Oranda's, Fantails, Black Moors) and that is what I fully intended to put in my tanks, but I've become quite smitten with some tropical fish. I'm loving my DG, but he is so shy. I've only had him for two days though. Will he become more comfy soon, or do they tend to be hiders?
__________________
Reygan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 07:48 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Reygan2's Avatar



Tank of the Month Award
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Western NC
Posts: 1,776
Also, what goes well with DG's? I've been told I can have more and I've been told I shouldn't. Any replys/opinions would be appreciated.
__________________
Reygan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 08:00 PM   #19
come get me tang police!
 
jetajockey's Avatar


 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: In a swamp near you /Pensacola, FL
Posts: 12,047
Congrats. I wouldn't vacuum anything unless you see a buildup, personally. I'm with you on the 'if it aint broke don't fix it' mentality.

As far as drip acclimation goes, I've done it for some fish, I think in most cases it's unnecessary, but there's nothing wrong with it, and it's definitely a way to play it safe when adding new stock, so go for it.

As far as what goes with DGs, I've kept a myriad of different community fish with my honeys, so I think you are fine with a lot of different things.
__________________
Dont Forget to Join my FREE weekly Plant Giveaway.
Click Here!
jetajockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 08:13 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Reygan2's Avatar



Tank of the Month Award
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Western NC
Posts: 1,776
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetajockey View Post
Congrats. I wouldn't vacuum anything unless you see a buildup, personally. I'm with you on the 'if it aint broke don't fix it' mentality.

As far as drip acclimation goes, I've done it for some fish, I think in most cases it's unnecessary, but there's nothing wrong with it, and it's definitely a way to play it safe when adding new stock, so go for it.

As far as what goes with DGs, I've kept a myriad of different community fish with my honeys, so I think you are fine with a lot of different things.
How many DG's would you recommend for a 29g with 4 neons, 4 blk tetras, and 1 DG?
__________________

__________________
Reygan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
high ph

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Article: What You Should Know About Fish Nutrition Fishguy2727 Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion 14 02-01-2012 09:41 AM
High ammonia to low ammonia GoldenPlecTony Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion 5 08-12-2011 03:52 AM
My New 20G High Justin83 Members Freshwater Tanks Showcase 4 06-30-2011 02:58 PM
nitrates seem high user404 Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion 5 06-29-2011 12:40 AM







» Photo Contest Winners







All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:13 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.