High PH and Oscar questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kali

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
About 3.5 weeks ago I upgraded from a 10 to 20 gallon tank. I kept filter from 10 gallon on for about 2.5 weeks. New substrate (sand), new water, a few new decorations (rocks from another tank, fake plants).

One week ago I took the second filter off so I could fit on my proprietary hood/light. Tank is eclipse 20 gallon (a gift).

I wanted to use the 20 gallon for a month or 2 as a grow out tank for a new Oscar I want to get while I find a stand for the 75 gallon I got for him and it cycles. So today I go in to LFS to check water in the 20 and it turns out I have something like .2 ammonia, normal nitrites/nitrates, but PH is a dark purple, the guy said something like 8.8.

Just wondering what you think could have caused such a high PH? The only other things I have added to the tank are java moss, black thread to tie moss down and SeaChem stability for 2 days or so after I took off the second filter. Also about 2 weeks ago I lost 1 guppy and 1 lone molly, they just disappeared which means they were lunch for cornelius my shrimp. He has a violent history, has killed at least 5 guppies and 2 mollies in the last 6 months. So maybe some dead organics added to my tank in the last 2 weeks.

Also is it ok to add a baby Oscar with such a PH? I havent found the "right" one yet, looking for a really small one partially because I want to raise it and partially bc it needs to live in my 20 for a month or 2.

Current tank residents of the 20 include: 4 guppies, 2 zebras, 1 spotted pleco, some malaysian trumpet snails (who knows how many really, maybe 10-20), and 1 shrimp. I wouldnt mind if the Oscar thinned out my guppy/Zebra population or even decimated it as I am bored to death of these fish. I love building/fixing/toying with aquariums as a hobby but have not found a fish that I honestly care that much if it lives or dies, besides maybe my pleco. I look at O's all the time at the LFS/Petco and become more attached to them in 5 minutes than all my fish at home combined to be honest. I just want a fish that I think of as a pet, not just a tank.

Sorry this is long but ill sumarize my questions.

1) Any guesses as to why the high PH?
2) Can I add a baby O with this PH?
3) I plan on just letting it settle naturally but what kind of timeline am I looking at if say I do 25% PWC every other day?
4) Will it hurt the Oscar if he eats some malaysian trumpet snails?
5) Is the baby O safe with my shrimp who has a history of being a nighttime/opportunistic predator? Shrimp is maybe 3 inches long, not sure what kind but its clear body, red and black marks, decently long pinchers. (not too worried about the O killing Cornelius as the shrimp probably has it coming)
6) Will an Oscar be lonely by himself in a 75 gallon with only a spotted pleco?

I know 20 gallons is not sufficient for an O for long, but the way I see it they have 10 O's in a 10 gallon in the pet store and there's more space in my tank than that... plus I would be a better owner than the average person who shops in there....

Sorry the long read, any help appreciated.

They will breed in very high pH, I don't know about 8.8 though (if it is really that high). I doubt it is really that high.

Test the water out of the tap water, that may be where your hard water is coming from.

Even the smallest oscars will love those tankmates, for dinner. Wait until the 75 is ready for them before you get the oscars (and no more than two in a 75).

NEVER EVER base your care based on the tanks in a LFS. They overcrowd, have a staff to catch the tiniest signs of problems, and do never ending water changes. Usually those crowded tanks are part of a massive system that will be much more stable than even your 75 will be.

well i would get a test kit so you can figure out our self. its good to know the gh and kh of the water also. first step is to test your tap. let it stay over night then test it.

i wouldnt add anything more to a 75 with a oscar and pleco. it wont be lonely though waiting like fishguy said until you have the 75 ready would be the best bet.

Back
Top Bottom