High pH okay for my fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Shiina107

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hello! First off let me start by saying my tap water is very hard as I have well water, but it goes through a water softener. My GH is pretty low but my KH is pretty high, and my ph is also very high. My fish all seem fine and happy and healthy. In fact I’ve had some fish in my tank for 2 years and they’re still alive and well. Today when I was shopping for more supplies, I noticed some seachem ph buffer, that buffers the ph to 7. I was thinking of buying this or even investing in an RO/DI unit to make water for my aquariums but Do not want to do this if my fish are fine. I’ve read that fish adapting to a ph is good and adjusting it after they’ve adjusted makes them even more stressed out. Does anyone have anything to weigh in here? I just want to make the best decision for my fish. Thank you all!

Don't mess with your pH. If fish are acting fine then don't mess with it. How high is your pH?

Fish adapt to pH. Your GH being low is good. KH is your buffer. The higher it is the more stable your pH is. More importantly would be to check your TDS. They sell TDS pens on Amazon pretty cheap.

What is your readings exactly?

Sorry for late response, life is so hectic lately... My pH stands at around 8-8.3, at the moment i am out of other liquid tests so I am grabbing those ASAP (tomorrow actually!!) and I will hopefully update this post soon with more info!

I wouldn't mess with it. I also have well water and high PH. When I do water changes I use 10 gallons well and 5 gallons of R/O water I buy from my grocery store. I don't have a water softener so my water is extra terrible. What I do before water change day is first polish the ten gallons of well water (with a DIY water polisher) you wouldn't believe how brown the polishing pad gets after a few hours. Then I heat and condition and were good to go. All this cause of well water! But in all my research I have learned that messing with your PH is not good. Your fish have adapted to it and sounds like you take great care of them.

I happen to do have a water softener!! :) and it works very well, my readings come back that my water is very soft! But holy moly is my ph high!! I’m glad my fish have all adapted to it tho so well!!

Your pH is the same as mine. I keep several different types of fish without altering the water.

Back
Top Bottom