High quality flake foods - What do you use?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I personally use Omega One because it's what we use at work and I have noticed good results, though I am not accustomed to using Tetramin as I'm not sure I've ever tried it. I'm sure there's nothing wrong with it whatsoever in any real capacity. However, I am a label shopper and try to go with what at least seems to have more nutrients and less fillers. Based on these comparisons of ingredient lists I'd be more inclined to go with the Omega if I had to choose. But I would not freak out if all I had access to was the Tetramin.. to each their own. :)

To be fair, they both use the same preservatives and the preservative in question apparently has its own little bout of controversy.

http://www.epa.gov/oppsrrd1/REDs/factsheets/0003fact.pdf

Tetramin:

Fish meal, dried yeast, ground brown rice, shrimp meal, wheat gluten, potato protein, feeding oat meal, dehulled soybean meal, fish oil, soybean oil, algae meal, sorbitol, lecithin, ascorbic acid (source of vitamin C), inositol, niacin, L-ascorbyl-2-polyphosphate, riboflavin-5-phosphate, A-tocopherol-acetate (source of vitamin E), D-calcium pentothenate, thiamine mononitrate, pyridoxine hydrochloride, vitamin A palmitate, menadione sodium bisulfate complex, cyanocobalamin, cholecalciferol, and colors blue 2 lake, red 3 dye, yellow 5 lake, yellow 6 lake, ethoxyquin (as a preservative).

Omega One:

Whole Salmon, Whole Herring, Black Cod, Halibut, Whole Shrimp, Whole Krill, Wheat Flour, Wheat Gluten, Fresh Kelp, Lecithin, Astaxanthin, L-Ascorbyl-2-Phosphate (Source of Vitamin C),
Natural and Artificial Colors, Vitamin A Acetate, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Vitamin E Supplement, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Riboflavin, Niacin, Pantothenic Acid, Folic Acid, Biotin, Inositol, Tocopherol (Preservative), Ethoxyquin (Preservative).

Omega one seems to have better ingredients, and no artificial colors.

Yeah apparently ethoxyquin has been rumored to cause birth defects, deformities, etc in animals. I know it causes molt problems with hermit crabs and probably other inverts too.

--Adeeb

Yeah, as nice as the ingredients are, I don't like the risk involved with the ethoxyquin, so I may have to shop around.

Ocean nutrition flakes. Reasonably priced, good ingredients, enhance color and my fish love them. I use spirulina and brine shrimp flakes.

Back
Top Bottom