High Temperature Problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

The sea monkeys Rock

Aquarium Advice Regular
Dear All,

It is summer here in the UK, a rare phenomena. However my tanks are rising to 28C in some cases. My fish like 24C:

- Ember Tetra
- Lampeye
- Galaxy Rasbora.

Will this high temperature cause them problems? Any tips?

Many Thanks

I'm in the same position as you my temperature is getting up to 28 and has been over, im just keeping my lids open and i have a fan pointing at my tanks. My fish are coping ok. And I also have been turning my lights off early :)

I'm in the UK too it was 31 here today my tank got up too 28 today it's dropped down to 26! I've been floating ice in a zip lock bag and kept lights off!

floating ice will not be good because it causes temperature mix ups in the tank and will cause fish to get stressed even more just let nature take its course or put ac or fan next to tank.

floating ice will not be good because it causes temperature mix ups in the tank and will cause fish to get stressed even more just let nature take its course or put ac or fan next to tank.

Oh read somewhere on here that's the best thing to do:/

28 degrees is nothing. My tanks reached 34+ last summer. There was no avoiding it. Keep the lights off, make sure the windows are open to let in a cool breeze (if there is one!), take the lids off and direct a fan over the top of the water. Ice filled bottles are fine to use IMO. If there is good water flow in the tank there won't be cold and hot spots. Only problem is if the temp drops too quickly.

28 degrees is nothing. My tanks reached 34+ last summer. There was no avoiding it. Keep the lights off, make sure the windows are open to let in a cool breeze (if there is one!), take the lids off and direct a fan over the top of the water. Ice filled bottles are fine to use IMO. If there is good water flow in the tank there won't be cold and hot spots. Only problem is if the temp drops too quickly.

Only problem with lid coming off is fish may jump out?

Usually not. Depends what fish you have. When fish jump they usually do it for a reason. Poor water conditions, bullying, fright.

I've never had a problem with jumping fish. However, I saw a thread about a Rummynose tetra jumping out of the tank, and I have 4 of these!

I have had 5 in an open top tank for over a year now. Still going strong. Also 2 SAE (known jumpers) in the same tank. Sometimes a fish jumping out of the tank is just a freak thing.

Back
Top Bottom