Hikari cichlid staple for fancy goldfish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ryukins

Aquarium Advice Activist
I bought some of the mini floating pellets to add variety to my goldfish diet. Does anyone know if these are ok for fancy goldfish? I realize since they are floating it may not be ideal but I plan to soak them for a bit before feeding.

Anyone feed their goldfish these?

I feed only the hikari goldfish-specific foods to my guys but I have heard of people feeding the cichlid foods to goldies before though I dont recommend it. What are the protien, fat, & fiber %'s listed for this food? What is the first ingredient listed on the bag?

Hikari Cichlid Staple Ingredients
White Fish Meal, Wheat Flour, Wheat Germ Meal, Brewer's Dried Yeast, Soybean Meal, Dehydrated Alfalfa Meal, Thiamine Mononitrate, Riboflavin, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Vitamin A Supplement, L-Ascorbyl-2-Polyphosphate, B12 Supplement, Calcium Pantothenate, Biotin, Calcium Pantothenate, Choline Chloride, D-Activated Animal Sterol, Folic Acid, Menadione Sodium Bisulfite, Inositol, Para-Aminobenzoic Acid, Zinc Oxide, Zinc Oxide, Manganous Oxide, Salt, Ferrous Chloride, Copper Sulfate, Cobalt Sulfate, Aluminum Sulfate, Magnesium Sulfate.

Guaranteed Analysis
Crude Protein
min. 30.0%
Crude Fat min. 4.0%
Crude Fiber max. 5.0%
Moisture max. 9.0%
Ash max. 10.0%

I only bought it because the store had the goldfish ones but only in large packages that expire in one year (2013). The one I bought is mini floating pellets and it expires in 2014.

I just would not feed this as their staple food- its very low in protien compared to Hikari fancy goldfish foods (46-48%). I believe your guys are still juveniles & they need the protien for growth & development. It should be fine for an occasional meal though!

Ok, thanks for the advice. Yeah they are still babies, and I am mixing their diet up with aqueon goldfish sinking pellet, some Betta flakes, and dried blood worms. The Hikari package says its supposed to enhance fast growing haha. But I also found this one had relatively higher fiber content which I think could help clear the wastes in their gastrointestinal tracts.

I would love to give them fresh veggies, but I find it is too complicated to make and I am not really into cooking..

Buy the bags of instant-steam veggies from the frozen veggie section! Throw them in the micro for a few mins & put in a tupperware container in the veggie drawer- they last @ week. I would reconsider feeding veggies if I had to cook them everyday! :)

Also. Goldys do better with sinking pellet type foods. Floating foods allow them to "suck" air from the surface and ingesting it potentially causing gas and intestinal problems as well.

Back
Top Bottom