Hikari vs. omega one

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
How is decifering the ingredient labels and having the basic common knowledge of nutrition/additives falling for sales pitch. I could care less if you feed your fish dog food but don't come on a public forum trying to tell people there is no difference between fish food besides price and marketing. I would hope someone with that much ignorance in their supposed field of work would know the basics of nutrition or if not have enough sense not to comment.

Will I am sorry that I'm not a self proclaimed expert in all things nutrition and additives. But ya know,sometimes a little common sense will go along way and save you some money for more important things.

I could care less if you feed your fish dog food but don't come on a public forum trying to tell people there is no difference between fish food besides price and marketing.

I believe that if you'll go back read the original post.You'll find the OP asked about only two brands of fish food. NOT the entire line,of which I highly doubt that you are an expert in.

And as far as your ignorance comment. I won't belittle myself to pompous insults on a public forum.

BTW
decifering is actually spelled deciphering. Just saying.

Yote said:
Will I am sorry that I'm not a self proclaimed expert in all things nutrition and additives. But ya know,sometimes a little common sense will go along way and save you some money for more important things.

I believe that if you'll go back read the original post.You'll find the OP asked about only two brands of fish food. NOT the entire line,of which I highly doubt that you are an expert in.

And as far as your ignorance comment. I won't belittle myself to pompous insults on a public forum.

BTW
decifering is actually spelled deciphering. Just saying.

Well what he is saying is true just switch and see for yourself you will notice better colors, more active fish, and longer life span

It's like saying if you ate at macdonalds everyday and I ate healthy home cooked meals your going to live as long as me

Or it's like saying old roy dog food is as good as blue. A holistic diet is always better

Well what he is saying is true just switch and see for yourself you will notice better colors, more active fish, and longer life span

It's like saying if you ate at macdonalds everyday and I ate healthy home cooked meals your going to live as long as me

Or it's like saying old roy dog food is as good as blue. A holistic diet is always better

I do understand what he is saying as well as what you are saying. The OP asked the difference between two types of food,of which there is really no difference except for the name on the package and that is the question I answered for them.
They didn't ask for a summery of what is more nutritious and which food is better,which will come down to personal opinion for the majority of hobbyist to begin with.

I personally don't have the time to research everything that is sold in the pet trade. I have 96 different tanks that I take care of including two 300 gallon full reefs and a 200 gallon planted on top of the 40 or so maintenance tanks that I handle. So I believe that I do know something about the trade and the products sold.

Yote said:
I do understand what he is saying as well as what you are saying. The OP asked the difference between two types of food,of which there is really no difference except for the name on the package and that is the question I answered for them.
They didn't ask for a summery of what is more nutritious and which food is better,which will come down to personal opinion for the majority of hobbyist to begin with.

I personally don't have the time to research everything that is sold in the pet trade. I have 96 different tanks that I take care of including two 300 gallon full reefs and a 200 gallon planted on top of the 40 or so maintenance tanks that I handle. So I believe that I do know something about the trade and the products sold.

Actually, if YOU would go back and look, you will see that I asked which one is better. So yea.

Personally I think that omega one is superior to both new life spectrum and hikari based on the ingerdient list. None of my fish ever really liked new life spectrum.

For example, the first four ingredients in newlife spectrum is "Whole Antarctic Krill Meal, Whole Herring Meal, Wheat Flour, Whole Squid Meal"
notice that each fish is a "meal" and that wheat flour is the 3rd ingredient

The first four ingredients in my omega one shrimp pellets are as follows:
"whole shrimp, whole salmon, cod, whole herring"

notice that the omega one isn't a "fish meal" it is whole fish as opposed to NLS which is "fishmeal"

The omega one super color flakes first four ingredients are as follows:
"whole salmon, halibut, seafood mix(including krill, rockfish, and shirmp), wheat gluten"
also notice that wheat is the fourth ingredient here not the 3rd which indicates less filler is used as opposed to the NLS where wheat was the 3rd ingredient.

ashleynicole said:
Personally I think that omega one is superior to both new life spectrum and hikari based on the ingerdient list. None of my fish ever really liked new life spectrum.

For example, the first four ingredients in newlife spectrum is "Whole Antarctic Krill Meal, Whole Herring Meal, Wheat Flour, Whole Squid Meal"

notice that the omega one isn't a "fish meal" it is whole fish as opposed to NLS which is "fishmeal"

"whole salmon, halibut, seafood mix(including krill, rockfish, and shirmp), wheat gluten"
also notice that wheat is the fourth ingredient here not the 3rd which indicates less filler is used as opposed to the NLS where wheat was the 3rd ingredient.

Wow that's really good information, thanks. Omega one it is. Well, as soon as they eat all the other stuff lol.

Wow that's really good information, thanks. Omega one it is. Well, as soon as they eat all the other stuff lol.

no prob :) I've been on a health kick the past few years and do a lot of label reading for myself. Then I started to think, gee what do I feed my cats? Started doing research and now my cats get fed blue buffalo which the first ingredient is "deboned chicken". Spoiled kitty cats, LOL. Then when I decided to keep fish again for the first time I read the labels! (y) I Found out that most of the foods I used to feed were pretty good quality, but the reason I fed them was because others recommended the brand, but I didn't really know why. Now I know why :dance: That's another reason I feed the frozen brine shrimp and frozen bloodworms because that is fish food in the rawest form :)

ashleynicole said:
no prob :) I've been on a health kick the past few years and do a lot of label reading for myself. Then I started to think, gee what do I feed my cats? Started doing research and now my cats get fed blue buffalo which the first ingredient is "deboned chicken". Spoiled kitty cats, LOL. Then when I decided to keep fish again for the first time I read the labels! (y) I Found out that most of the foods I used to feed were pretty good quality, but the reason I fed them was because others recommended the brand, but I didn't really know why. Now I know why :dance: That's another reason I feed the frozen brine shrimp and frozen bloodworms because that is fish food in the rawest form :)

How often do you feed them the frozen foods?

The OP asked the difference between two types of food,of which there is really no difference except for the name on the package and that is the question I answered for them.
There is a difference besides the name on the package. Period.

I agree. The first four ingredients in Hikari Cichlid Staple are wheat flour, fish meal, soybean meal, and rice bran. Clearly an inferior product to Omega One.

Last edited:
Well thanks to everyone for all of the info then :) I'll switch my flakes and pellets to omega one. Now if only I could get my dad to stop feeding them blood worms and brine shrimp every night.. :banghead:

Back
Top Bottom