Hillstream Loaches

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishenthusiast

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hello everyone! Has anyone ever kept Reticulated Hillstream Loaches before? What are their needs? What was your experience with them? Thanks!

Cooler, clean, fast moving water. They come from fast moving streams. They eat any and everything I give them, and the algae that I let grow on rocks. Very easy to care for, but needs a mature tank. They don't do well in a new set up.

Mine are in a 55g river set up. Meaning that I have power heads on one end of the tank to direct the flow like a river.

Cooler, clean, fast moving water. They come from fast moving streams. They eat any and everything I give them, and the algae that I let grow on rocks. Very easy to care for, but needs a mature tank. They don't do well in a new set up.

Mine are in a 55g river set up. Meaning that I have power heads on one end of the tank to direct the flow like a river.

So they probably wouldn't do well in tank that has temperatures at 77-81 degrees Fahrenheit? I don't have a power head at the moment, but I could get one. Although, I don't know if my Threadfin Rainbows would like that much flow.

No, they prefer cooler water, 72-75. I keep mine at 74 and they're pretty happy. The cooler water is higher in oxygen.

I have 3 power heads set up in mine along with a canister filter, all aimed at one end. The threadfins wouldn't like it too much.

No, they prefer cooler water, 72-75. I keep mine at 74 and they're pretty happy. The cooler water is higher in oxygen.

I have 3 power heads set up in mine along with a canister filter, all aimed at one end. The threadfins wouldn't like it too much.

Yeah, that's what I thought. It's disappointing that I can't get this fish, but I wouldn't want to waste money on the fish.

Back
Top Bottom