hmmmmm what to breed what to breed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

knills

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
hi i just went to the lfs and saw that they had some really cool looking swordtails and platies and mollies and then they also had some guppies so now the question witch one would be best/easiest to breed i know thier all really easy to breed or are they al just pretty much the same and last but not least the platies and swordtails are much cheaper thanks in advance

Choose the ones that look the coolest to you.

I believe mollies need a larger tank (30 gal or bigger) and they like some salt in their tank. description of mollies

Platties are cool colors and they only need a 10 gallon tank. No need for salt to speak of. description of platties My grandmother has red wag platties and the babies are all a bright orange with a tinge of black for fins. So cute. Every one who comes to see her comment about the babies.

Guppies require a 20 gallon tank. Guppy babies would be harder to see because of their coloring, but they sure have neat tails when older. guppy description

Swordtails need a 30 gallon tank. Other than that I don't know much about them. swordtail description

In all choose which one you like the best and according to tank size if necessary. You'll be very pleased with any of them.

guppies, IME are the easiest... but pretty much all livebearers will breed like crazy.

Guppys are the rabbits of the live barreries. Now on the mollies I know they came from a brakish enverment as wild. But whens the last time anybody has seen wild mollies in the lfs.
Most mollies are now breed and kept in freashwater systems. So there will adepted to none salt envierments.

Will Mollies not bread at all in a tank smaller than 30 gal? I have moved 3 specific medium sized mollies into a 10 galloon tank by themselves to keep distractions down with the hope of them breeding.

Anyone have any luck breeding in smaller 10 gal tanks?

coolchinchilla said:
Choose the ones that look the coolest to you.

I believe mollies need a larger tank (30 gal or bigger) and they like some salt in their tank. description of mollies

Platties are cool colors and they only need a 10 gallon tank. No need for salt to speak of. description of platties My grandmother has red wag platties and the babies are all a bright orange with a tinge of black for fins. So cute. Every one who comes to see her comment about the babies.

Guppies require a 20 gallon tank. Guppy babies would be harder to see because of their coloring, but they sure have neat tails when older. guppy description

Swordtails need a 30 gallon tank. Other than that I don't know much about them. swordtail description

In all choose which one you like the best and according to tank size if necessary. You'll be very pleased with any of them.

Yea I've bred mollies in a 10g tank with good luck. There like guppys once they start breeding they will keep breding.

Weasel F. said:
Yea I've bred mollies in a 10g tank with good luck. There like guppys once they start breeding they will keep breding.

Weasal F:

How many mollies did you put in the 10g tank? My male molly seems "friendly" towards the two females so it probably already happened.

Gippies are by far the easiest, swords next with platties and sword crossed being next and then straight platty. Have no experience with mollies. Personally, I like swords the best because of all the different body styles and colors possible. I have had males from the same batch 1.5-3 inches long with swords single colored, multi colored and even translucent.

Back
Top Bottom