HOB Filter question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

swifty

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have 2 AquaClear 50 filters on my 29g. I recently upgraded my 20g long to the 29g, and want to setup the 20g.

I have 2 possible ideas and questions on each.

- If I move one AC 50 to the 20, will my 29g be ok? Also, I'm guessing the 20g would be instantly cycled, corrrect?

- If I keep the 2 filters on the 29g as they are and buy a brand new AC for the 20g, could I just move the media from 1 of the 29g filters to the new filter, and the tank be instantly cycled?

I would buy a 70 for the 29 and move one of the others to the 20. Personally I don't liker the 50. I have a 70 on my 36 and still think its under filter.

Hello Swift...

A tank just needs filtration that will turn over 4 times the volume of the tank every hour. This is the best way to determine the filtration your tank needs. If you have a 30 G tank, you need a filter with a gallon per hour (gph) rating of 120. This level of filtration will be sufficient to get enough oxygen into the tank water and allow carbon dioxide to escape.

Multiple and much larger filters do a bit better job of oxygenating the tank water, but don't keep the tank water cleaner. Only large, frequent water changes can do this. If you change out half the tank water on a regular basis, like every week or two, you don't need to use larger or multiple filters. They're just moving water that's already clean.

B

Back
Top Bottom