HOB filter recommendation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

xsryman

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a 20gal tank currently using an Aquaclear filter. It seems like it might be dying so I am shopping for some new filtration. The only othe two kinds I have used is Aqueon on my 10gal and a Top Fin on my 55gal. Is the anything that makes one better than the other? What do you guys use and what are some of your thoughts about HOB filtration?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I'm using a fluval c4 on my 55. I really like it. For a 20 gallon you should look into the c2 or c3

Yes, Fluval C series is the best

The Fluval C makes the AquaClears obsolete.

Go here:

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f60/hang-on-back-hob-filters-293838.html#post2798760

and see my post #7.

The aquaclears have no polishing pad and that "basket" is a real pain to load with custom media compared to Fluval C. The bypass issues on the AquaClears are ridiculous.

For mechanical filtration I use cut to fit media. Acurel waste & debris reducing pad + 100 micron AquaticLife polishing pads combine to give the same thickness as the factory poly/fiber two stage (filtration and polishing) pads. The factory insert will give you crystal clear polished water ..... but the custom 100 micron polishing pad gives the aquarium water that "stunning" look.

[For chemical filtration I use Seachem purigen instead of carbon. For biological, I go with the "factory" CNodes.]

on my 20 i used a Aquaclear 300 (AC 70) and it worked perfect. On my 60 im using the AC 300 and a marineland emperor 400. I always reccomend aquaclear

Fluval c for sure. They offer a very high rate of media flexibility. Try and go for double the listed rate for your tank.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I would suggest Aqueon, Fluval, or API. Some people will probably say that the API HOB filters are bad, but I have the 5-20 running on my 40 gallon tank (along with an Aqueon quietflow 50) and I think it is doing a good job :) Also I heard that the Marineland bio wheel is good.

I like my penguin 200 with bio wheel, works well stuffed with fluval bio foam!

The Fluval C makes the AquaClears obsolete.

Go here:

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f60/hang-on-back-hob-filters-293838.html#post2798760

and see my post #7.

The aquaclears have no polishing pad and that "basket" is a real pain to load with custom media compared to Fluval C. The bypass issues on the AquaClears are ridiculous.

For mechanical filtration I use cut to fit media. Acurel waste & debris reducing pad + 100 micron AquaticLife polishing pads combine to give the same thickness as the factory poly/fiber two stage (filtration and polishing) pads. The factory insert will give you crystal clear polished water ..... but the custom 100 micron polishing pad gives the aquarium water that "stunning" look.

[For chemical filtration I use Seachem purigen instead of carbon. For biological, I go with the "factory" CNodes.]

Maybe this is why my water looks milky...because of the bypass and not using a polishing pad? I just threw what ever extras I had to filter. This was a carbon bag, bio foam piece and some fluval foam. None of which were cut to fit.

Penguin bio-wheel filters are fantastic. If you're looking for a little overkill at a cheap price:

Amazon.com: Marineland PF0200B Penguin Power Filter, 30 to 50-Gallon, 200 GPH: Pet Supplies

You'd have 10x water turnover, meaning it would filter your tanks capacity 10 times an hour. I'd recommend it. With a bio-wheel, you never need to replace the wheel. In fact, the older it is, the better it runs.

Edit:
I like my penguin 200 with bio wheel, works well stuffed with fluval bio foam!

I didn't see this, lol! :p

Not familiar with any of them but from what I see in the stores, some are more flexible with the media you use rather than their proprietary cartridge-like media. I would use the ones that give me the most media per volume.

Fluval C series for the previously stated reasons.

I was looking at the Fluval C series. That looks like a really nice HOB. But what is up with Fluval's pricing?!?!

I did a poll a while back and the aquaclears are the most popular out of all the commercial hob filters here on this forum.

I did a poll a while back and the aquaclears are the most popular out of all the commercial hob filters here on this forum.
Yes. The Hagen AquaClear has been around for 30 years plus:

http://ca-en.hagen.com/aquaclear

and since 1978 has long been recognized as one of the best HOB filters. The Hagen Fluval C series has only been around about 3 years. So of course, more people are going to own AquaClears.

The AquaClear is Hagen's automotive equivalent to GM's Chevy or Toyota's Camry .... both popular and maybe the best cars for the money but not necessarily the best car. But The Fluval is Hagen's Cadillac or Lexus. I own both working sided by side and for the reasons I stated previously, the Fluval is by far the hands down winner for crystal clear polished water, zero bypass filtration, and ease of using custom media. The Fluval C is the first HOB to give canister filter quality water right out of the box with its polishing pad and drip tray.

Fortunately, the price gap between the AquaClear and the Fluval C is not typically significant. Sometimes, when on sale, the C will be less than the AquaClear.

Pricing today on Amazon is as follows:

AquaClear 50: $38.33
:Fluval C3 $39.99

AquaClear 70: $49.94
Fluval C4: $54.99

Note 1 - both Amazon & Drs F&S change pricing on these items constantly.
I purchased both my C3's from Amazon. My C4 came from Drs. Foster & Smith who ..... on the day I ordered ..... was $5 cheaper than Amazon.

Note 2 - On both the AquaClear 50 and the Fluval C3, you have to order the extension tube to get to the bottom of a typical tank. Once you shell out the extra $7 or $8 for a 69 cent piece of plastic, you might as well spring for an upgraded C4 or AC70 if you have enough space behind the back of your tank. The flow on the C4 can be adjusted downwards from 264 GPH to 159 GPH so you don't have to worry about excess current. Also, when you slow the flow, you decrease the amount of water intake but the water being filtered remains relatively constant as the water is re-filtered multiple times.

To those who have had good luck with other filters, the OP asked what makes one filter better than the other? Not which is the most popular. I sure wish somebody would have cleared this up for me before I threw away $40 and a lot of wasted time on my three week old aquaclear 50 ........ which I am going to retire as soon as my newest Fluval C3 builds up enough BB. [Not enough room for a C4 behind my 38 gallon tank so it's two C3's. I have one C4 on my 29 gallon tank and it's doing a great job running at about 75% of "full throttle."

Edit: For those who want uber crystal clear polished water, go here and see my post #2

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f60/optimal-filtration-293808.html

Would the biggest Fluval C work well as a stand-alone on a 55?
Too bad they don't make a Fluval C5. A C4 would probably work only if your tank is not heavily stocked and your filter intake is not obstructed. Just for the heck of it, I went to aqadvisor.com and took my 29 gallon tank stock and added a hypothetical 10 platys in a 55 gallon. According to that site, filtration is "adequate:"

AqAdvisor - Paul29Tank

But watch out for dead spots if you have an elaborate aquascape:

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f60/optimal-filtration-293808.html

As an FYI I've found the best prices at petmountain.com also I'm not sure about the ac but the fluval comes preloaded with all the media needed so it's ready right away.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Fluval C series is one of the best I know !!!.

Don't throw your old filter the day you change it, just run them both for 1 month, or you'll get a huge ammonia spike that might kill your inhabitants, especially shrimps that will die for sure.

In my case I stick with canister now, they are less maintenance. For canisters I'll go with Eheim.

Fluval C series is one of the best I know !!!.

Don't throw your old filter the day you change it, just run them both for 1 month, or you'll get a huge ammonia spike that might kill your inhabitants, especially shrimps that will die for sure.

In my case I stick with canister now, they are less maintenance. For canisters I'll go with Eheim.
Yes on side by side, however, If properly seeded with lots of old filter's media ..... probably one week or less will do it.

Interesting, I recently saw a youtube video or amazon review (???) showing how easy it is to see the Eheim is way better than the Fluval canister. For all the money, time, & effort I've spent in the last 6 months getting everything just right on my (temporarily) 3 HOB 38 gallon, I could have had an Eheim 2217 for $139 ....

Eheim 2217 Classic Canister Filter - Up to 159 gal.| thatpetplace.com
or a 2215 for $111
http://www.amazon.com/Classic-2215371-External-Canister-Gallons/dp/B0002AQXV8

which less than I paid for Aqua-Tech 30-60 (WalMart before I knew about this forum - it's now retired), + 2 C3's + AC50 + extension tubes, pre-filters, wasted media, yada yada totaling well over $200 and unbelievable time and effort. Oh well, live and learn.

My messages on the superiority of Fluval C's are for the next person(s) that wants to make the right choice :D without going through all the "pain" I have endured.

At least I made out well on my 29 Gallon. One $50 C4. [I have no choice but to use an HOB on that because it sits on a credenza in my home office and is visible from my living room.]

Back
Top Bottom