HOB filter with floating plants?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jehenry89

Aquarium Advice Freak
Is there any way to make this work?? I bought a HOB filter for my new planted tank just due to lack of space. I saw they have hob canister filters but my bed is right next to the tank and I was scared that I would knock it while sleeping. I am kind of stuck with the HOB I have. The species of fish I want to get like floating plants as I have recently learned so is there anything I can do to make this work?

Do you mean with water flow?

I have one tied to a pipe with a bit of string. Sounds bad but the plant is big enough to hide it.

Thanks for the advice. Appreciate it. I thought I was going to be screwed :(. What about a cover?is it better to have it covered or topless? (This is my first time with floating plants)

Glass canopy. I see a lot of pictures with people doing topless with floating plants which is why I was wondering if there are benifits to that compared to going topless.

Glass canopy. I see a lot of pictures with people doing topless with floating plants which is why I was wondering if there are benifits to that compared to going topless.

I'm not sure. I think of it as the same as a glass greenhouse but I'm not a dedicated plant grower.

I use a Perspex cover which I suspect blocks some light at tank depth (as well as decrease by water depth). The floating plant gets trimmed every week and seems to grow well. Mainly I grow it for fry to hide in. I use off-the-shelf led lights which sit on the tank.

Make yourself an outflow baffle for your HOB out of the body of a 1 ltr plastic water bottle. Cut off the bottom and top so you have a cylinder. Cut up the length with scissors. Spread out with part of curl taped to top lid of HOB and pull bottom part down over the ouflow trough. The water goes out each end instead of straight out and down.
OS.

Make yourself an outflow baffle for your HOB out of the body of a 1 ltr plastic water bottle. Cut off the bottom and top so you have a cylinder. Cut up the length with scissors. Spread out with part of curl taped to top lid of HOB and pull bottom part down over the ouflow trough. The water goes out each end instead of straight out and down.
OS.
Thats an awesome idea, would have never thought of that, Thanks!!!!

A bottle baffle works! I attached mine with a single cable tie so it doesn't slip off. Cable tie going through small hole in top edge of bottle, and attached to filter.

I have a glass canopy as well and used a section of the plastic strip that runs along the back and attached to the lip of the filter. Yes, there is a lot of surface movement but the current does not pull the plants under. You could also make a "corral" out of a loop of fishing line taped to the rim of the tank. That should keep the plants in place.
I went topless but did not like the excess evaporation. I put the glass lid back on.
szcGBEg.jpg

Mine is topless. If you are just talking about the plants floating and issues with them then, wouldn't worry about it. My floaters do fine either way. I go topless because I have Golden pothos vines growing out of my tank and in one of my HOBs.

You can also get a couple of suctions cups and attach a piece of air line or a strip of plastic canvas to them. Put a suction cup on each side of the filter so the air line or plastic canvas circles the out flow. It keeps the floating plants from being pushed under by the outflow. If you use plastic canvas it kinda baffles the water so it doesn't cause as much of a current.

Back
Top Bottom