HOB filters vs. undergravel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dieanna

Aquarium Advice Activist
I'm searching for equiptment to set up my 20 gal. I'm currently looking at filters. I've only used HOB filters and know nothing about undergravel filters. What are the pros and cons of undergravel filters? In anyone's experience which is the better filter and the easiest to work with (keeping clean and such)? Thanks :)

I don't recommend even considering an undergravel filter. Hang on back filters are easier to clean and more flexible (i.e. more choices when it comes to methods of filtration). HOB filters can have biological, mechanical and chemical filtration while UGF typically only provide biological filtration (using the gravel bed). UGF filters require you to dig them up once a year to get all of the mulm that accumulates underneath the filter plates. A lot of the problems with the UGF can be eliminated by using a powerhead and running it in reverse through the lift tube (this is called a RUGF) but it still doesn't beat the HOB for flexibility, effectiveness and ease of use. Get yourself a good AquaClear or Penguin filter and you'll be much better served and so will your fish.

Thank you. That's what I was thinking. My father swears by UGF's while I always thought they would be more of a pain in the rear. I was just curious, though. Thanks.

Thanks for the thread links greenmaji. Very informative. I will definitely stay away from any kind of ugf.

I like Emperors, Aquaclears, and Penguins the best as far as HOBs go. The smallest Emperor is 280 gph, so I would just go with the AC 50 (200) or the Penguin 200B. :D

Back
Top Bottom