HOB versus Canister - Please Help Me Decide

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jweiner

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a 20 gallon tank with about 12 very small fish. I want to upgrade the existing HOB filter and need help deciding between a good HOB filter such as the Aquaclear 50 (or similar) or a small canister filter such as an Eheim classic or a Fluval 06 series. I also would need some sort of protection on the intake tube so my small fish don't get sucked into the filter. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

most of those canisters you mentioned would work for you . most intake tubs have strainers to prevent fish from going for a ride , the best part is they are more efficient keeping the tank clean.

I use a colbalt canister like it a lot , I also run 2 pumps 1 on intake 1 on output it gives stronger circulation

I guess part of my question is whether a canister would be far superior to a good HOB?

I guess part of my question is whether a canister would be far superior to a good HOB?

If they allow you more media than the typical HOB and can deliver more water to it, then, yes, I'd say they're probably superior. I do like Aquaclears though, as they have the most flexibility of HOBs I've dealt with when it comes to media.

So aquaclear HOB, Fluval 206 or Eheim Classic 150 for my 20H freshwater with sand substrate and very small fish??

I have read that sand substrate and canisters are a bad combo. Sand kills the pump.

TMaier - I heard that about HOB filters, but not canisters. The motor is on the far side of the media so the sand would never get to the motor.

Everything in my main tank ends up in my canister. But I have a snail hatchery with sand and I have never had a problem. I added the sponge over the intake a few weeks ago when I got some shrimp. IMG_1479616262.396033.jpg

Nice - whatever filter I get, I need a sponge over the intake.

The canister intake is about an inch above my substrate. It is on the floor and the tank is on a cabinet. About a 4' drop so the pull of water is pretty strong.

Any filter is bad for sand, but there's thing you can do so the filter doesn't suck it in, like putting a sponge over the inlet or nylons, I love my aquaclear's though when I had them modified with canister floss or whatever is called my tank was like glass but doing that you have to be careful because that stuff clogs easy with the finer material the sponge in the aquaclear doesn't get and will over flow the filter into the floor of you don't catch it in time

My filters slow down...never overflow. I rinse the intake sponge and the filter runs fast again.

The intake sponge saves my Shrimp and never any sand in my impellers.

I have sand tanks and HOBs and Canisters. No issues with either.

IMG_2471.jpg

What about the eheim Ecco pro range? I haven't used on but they have strong reviews and have low power consumption.

Go with fluval 206 I work at a fishstore people always rave about them and how much they like them.

Back
Top Bottom