HOB vs Canister for 40Gal Breeder

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

User

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hello everyone I was just interested in all your opinions on the matter of HOB filters and Canisters. The tank is a 40 gal breeder.

Options:

2 HOB Aquaclear filters (unknown type maybe 30s)

OR

1 Canister filter (recommend what you like please!)

thanks everyone for your time and patience :) it really means a lot!
:thanks:

User said:
Hello everyone I was just interested in all your opinions on the matter of HOB filters and Canisters. The tank is a 40 gal breeder.

Options:

2 HOB Aquaclear filters (unknown type maybe 30s)

OR

1 Canister filter (recommend what you like please!)

thanks everyone for your time and patience :) it really means a lot!
:thanks:

I prefer using canisters over hobs in general. I use HOT canisters on my 40b's and they are great.

So they are worth the extra expense then?

I personally like having 2 filters on my tank - one on each side.
I find its more effective in processing the waste.

A canister filter only has 1 intake - so it can only essentially clean one side of the tank.
However, they are hidden.

It really comes down to personal preference.

I have two aquaclear 50's on my 40 gallon. One on each side.
My water and sand is always clean.
Also, the aquacleaer HOB's have greater flow rates than many canister filters!

A canister filter only has 1 intake - so it can only essentially clean one side of the tank.
However, they are hidden.

It really comes down to personal preference.

I have two aquaclear 50's on my 40 gallon. One on each side.
My water and sand is always clean.
Also, the aquacleaer HOB's have greater flow rates than many canister filters!

See thats what I mean. I dont have a preference since Ive never had a canister before. I wanted to learn though. Ugh im so indecisive!

Bubble_B0y said:

I don't. Think that's true... if the filter had enough flow it would probably be able to suck the dirt up from anywhere in the tank.

I would say 2 AC 50's, or 1 AC 110, or a Fluval 405..maybe the 305 but that's pushing it.

Why would the Fluval 305 not be enough? It has a flow rate of 260 gph. On a 40 tank that would turn the tank over 6x's. I don't see how the 305 would not be more than enough. Please explain.

I would also suggest looking at the marineland c360. Much larger than the 305 and cheaper on amazon after the $20 MIR.

Are most of these beginner friendly? I definately am thankful for all your suggestions!

Would combining a fluval 405/305 and an aquaclear filter be too much in terms of filtration?

Still looking at the Marineland ones as of now

Wow I may just stick to twin Aquaclear 70s. The filter a lot of water and are simpler and much cheaper lol

buy the aquaclear 70's from amazon.com. I just bought 2 for my 36 gallon and amazon only charges like $35 each and free shipping. They are the cheapest place I have found. I love them.

I don't. Think that's true... if the filter had enough flow it would probably be able to suck the dirt up from anywhere in the tank.

a 40 gallon tank is essentially 3 foot long.
How can an intake tube collect waste 3 feet away?

Unless you had a powerhead or a current flow pushing the waste towards that side of the tank, it won't be able to.

Would combining a fluval 405/305 and an aquaclear filter be too much in terms of filtration?

No. It should be fine.
You can get an aquaclear mini (aka aquaclear 20) - they are the smallest HOB's and are rated for 20 gallon tanks.

+ the fluval 305 (rated for 70 gallon tanks)

total 90 gallon filtration. It's recommended you get twice as much filtration for the size tank.

I would not use the Marineland C-series. I have used them and the best thing about them is the handle. The flow is weak. Their media is not very good (bioballs, really?).

It is not the intake pulling things in it is the output pushing them around.

For the price difference between a 305 and 405 it is worth the upgrade.

The Fluvals are the most beginner friendly because they come with an instructional DVD that shows you how to set them up and maintain them.

If you do HOBs one AC110 would be the best option.

The AC20 is worthless, don't buy it for any tank (maybe a five gallon). Even on a ten gallon I would do at least the AC30.

Bubble_B0y said:
a 40 gallon tank is essentially 3 foot long.
How can an intake tube collect waste 3 feet away?

Unless you had a powerhead or a current flow pushing the waste towards that side of the tank, it won't be able to.

If there is enough current in the tank then the dirt will never settle.

IS there such thing as overkill in terms of filtration? I plan on having a medium sized pleco in there. Say a fluval fx5..

I have an AC30 Already so I may just keep it on there. I like the clean look of the canisters though so maybe one large canister and a powerhead, since I was planning on buying one anyway

Back
Top Bottom