hole where guppies tail was!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Filbey

Aquarium Advice Regular
hi ive just got home from 3 days away thinking all would be fine as i did a PWC before going and fed them ect.

i come home to find a portion of 1 male guppies tail has definately been nipped at. (see attached photo)
IMGP0131.jpg
i have 7 guppies (3 males 4 females) and 4 cherry barbs in a 95 ltr tank. the barbs have never nipped till now... and i have no proof its them but i want a couple more guppies (blue moscows) do i get rid of the barbs just in case ? or could it be the males fighting ect???

2nd Q. will his tail repair itself/grow back or will he look like a war vetron all his life??

:key:

as always many thanks :D

I am assuming it could be the other males aggression, It happened all the time when I had them, but With the right water quality, They heal in no time.

But, It could also be the Barbs, cherrys are generally known to be peaceful, but If not in a group of 6 or more could be nippy.

I would just watch and see if you can spot any aggression/ nipping from the barbs and male guppies.

What are your parameters, did you cycle?

Has the guppies behavior changed in any way? How long have the fish been together? Obviously, male guppies are known to be aggressive at times and cherry barbs like to nip. I'm wondering whether it may be finrot. Admittedly, every example I've seen of finrot seems more "even" in it's progression, but if the other fish have been together for some time without incident, I'd be concerned. Also, I'd recommend you test your water. A change in parameters that are stressing the fish may be leading to aggression in an other wise peaceful tank (just my opinion).

It looks like a nip to me, since it's in the shape of a mouth, and fin rot is usually black around the edges.
Keep the water super clean, and as long as the nip doesn't develop fungus or go all the way to the base of the fish, it should grow back.

Ive been using an API test kit parameters are fine I only added the females recently (last week) this could attribute to the behaviour changes :?

So are you suggesting if I added a couple more barbs they'd calm down ??

Are the guppies and barbs the only ones in the 95lt tank? If so, I would, just in case it is them.

Yes just 4 barbs and 7 guppies I wanted more guppies but don't want to buy expensive fancy guppies for them to be nipped at!!

I do not think it is fin rot. Anyone who has kept guppies has seen nips on their tails at one point or another. My guess is once you introduced some females the aggression between the males increased. Like the others said, keep the water clean and it should heal on its own.

Back
Top Bottom