holiday food for fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishy_friend

Aquarium Advice Regular
I recently went on holiday for a week, leaving two holiday feeding blocks in my tank. it said it fed 20 fish from 8 to 10 days so I thought they would be alright. I get back and the feeding blocks have clearly dissolved revealing pellets, which they were meant to do, but my fish weren't looking too good. all of them had lost their colour and the neon tetras were grey and floating about rather than swimming happily. I quickly put in some flakes and only one of my platies was eating. after several attempts, I got all the fish eating and the next day, their colour was returning. does this always happen with holiday feeding blocks? was it the change of food that made them unwell? :fish2:

I'm now uncertain about what I should use next time I go on holiday. is getting some1 round to feed them a better idea?

I recently went on holiday for a week, leaving two holiday feeding blocks in my tank. it said it fed 20 fish from 8 to 10 days so I thought they would be alright. I get back and the feeding blocks have clearly dissolved revealing pellets, which they were meant to do, but my fish weren't looking too good. all of them had lost their colour and the neon tetras were grey and floating about rather than swimming happily. I quickly put in some flakes and only one of my platies was eating. after several attempts, I got all the fish eating and the next day, their colour was returning. does this always happen with holiday feeding blocks? was it the change of food that made them unwell? :fish2:

I'm now uncertain about what I should use next time I go on holiday. is getting some1 round to feed them a better idea?

In all honesty I don't use feeding blocks them being floating around not moving much could be from water quality turning bad ie ammonia build up from all the dissolved food did you a water change what were your parameters in a healthy tank fish can go a week or so without eating they have small stomachs and in the wild they only eat maybe once a week I feed mine every other day they start to pick at leftovers also helps keep tank cleaner if you plan to go away that long again maybe have a friend come do a water change once or twice and feed them a couple times a week

Back
Top Bottom