holiday food help please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

vindogg

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi guys can any one help, I'm away for two weeks n have no one to look after my fish.
I have bought a feeding block which will last for the two weeks.
Is this advisable to use or anyone had experience with these?

vindogg said:
Hi guys can any one help, I'm away for two weeks n have no one to look after my fish.
I have bought a feeding block which will last for the two weeks.
Is this advisable to use or anyone had experience with these?

Uhm I would be worried about the tank getting all cloudy from it if I were you see if someone can feed them every 3-4 days meaning they only have to feed them 3-4 Times and they will be fine maybe a neighbor?!

Those things will trash your water quality. I would try and find someone that will stop by twice a week to feed them.

Holiday blocks are a lot more trouble than their worth. I used one once and since then I have moved to an auto feeder as trying to get every last bit out was a nightmare it. Good luck on what ever path you choose.

Well I intend on getting someone to feed them but they not very reliable. I've herd people using these n coming hope to alot of deaths in their tank so kinda stuck between a rock n a hard place

vindogg said:
Well I intend on getting someone to feed them but they not very reliable. I've herd people using these n coming hope to alot of deaths in their tank so kinda stuck between a rock n a hard place

Pre-portion the food you want the person to feed them.

What kind of fish do you have? If you fatten them up, you can probably have somebody just check things a couple of times while you're gone. HINT: if you have a non-aquarium person come over, hide the fish food so they're not tempted to overfeed. Portioning out in Dixie cups works well IME.

If your fish are not frys or juvies, and if they're pretty hardy I'd say if you gradually start feeding them foods high in fats and proteins you should be okay.

I did the block when I went on spring break last year. I lived in a sorority, so no one was able to feed my little guys when I was on vacation since you needed an eye scan and a fingerprint to even unlock the doors to get in the sorority (high tech stuff, right?)

Anyway, I came back to all my fish dead and my water was literally black with zero visibility. It was a nightmare!

As long as the filter is still on, youll be ok. most fish will be able to pick some Algae and other microscopic things for the time being

Back
Top Bottom