Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 10-04-2013, 03:42 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 4,245
Homemade Pleco food

Hey all. I want to make homemade food for my plecos and ottos. I have a bunch of scrap zuchini already. Somebody had a recipe they use posted awhile back. Basically I want an all in one nutritional wafer for them. I have extra fish food jars to store them in. Soooo I just need a recipe and a method for making them!
I know they need some protien but not huge amounts so maybe zuchini, peas, and kale?
Thanks and God bless!
__________________

__________________
God is amazing. The proof is in the pudding and the pudding is everywhere
African Leaf Fish Tank Build
GodFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 04:00 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Near Chicago, IN
Posts: 4,856
I wonder if for protein you could mix in some Repashy meat pie formula along with the veggies you listed? I'm interested in this also, so following.
__________________

__________________

Brenna
brennae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 04:07 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 4,245
Quote:
Originally Posted by brennae View Post
I wonder if for protein you could mix in some Repashy meat pie formula along with the veggies you listed? I'm interested in this also, so following.
I wouldnt even know where to acquire repashy lol plus I dont want to use anything preparednif possible. I also though about using mashed snails or even shrimp with eggs. I know the eggs are very nutritious.
__________________
God is amazing. The proof is in the pudding and the pudding is everywhere
African Leaf Fish Tank Build
GodFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 07:39 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 4,245
In addition to recipe ideas I kinda need tips on how to make it.
__________________
God is amazing. The proof is in the pudding and the pudding is everywhere
African Leaf Fish Tank Build
GodFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 01:41 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Near Chicago, IN
Posts: 4,856
Ok. Just for fyi Repashy is available on ebay. Some one on here was a dealer but I think he got out of that. Its a power and you mix it and it makes a nice gel. My fish LOVE it. A long time ago I used to buy something like you are looking to make from a girl on ebay. She made it for snails and my snails loved it but she quit selling it for some reason. I think she used a food dehydrator and also processed everything through a food processor. She added the veggies you mentioned and also bananas and I can't recall what else.
__________________

Brenna
brennae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 09:06 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 4,245
Quote:
Originally Posted by brennae View Post
Ok. Just for fyi Repashy is available on ebay. Some one on here was a dealer but I think he got out of that. Its a power and you mix it and it makes a nice gel. My fish LOVE it. A long time ago I used to buy something like you are looking to make from a girl on ebay. She made it for snails and my snails loved it but she quit selling it for some reason. I think she used a food dehydrator and also processed everything through a food processor. She added the veggies you mentioned and also bananas and I can't recall what else.
Ok thanks! I saw repashy on amazon. I think it looks cool but it also looks messy lol how do you keep it from making your tank look bad?
__________________
God is amazing. The proof is in the pudding and the pudding is everywhere
African Leaf Fish Tank Build
GodFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 01:45 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Near Chicago, IN
Posts: 4,856
Well I make mine in ice cube trays and then freeze it in ziplock bags. I take out a cube and let it thaw a bit then cut it into slices for each tank. Depends on what's in the tank as to if there are left overs. My "albino" tank with albino corys and albino BNP's and snails clean up ALL of it because they go crazy for it. My peacock gudgeons will only eat what is floating in the water column so that does create a mess when the food finally reaches the bottom. My bettas eat it from the bottom etc. Just all depends on what fish you keep and what you feel like dealing with I guess.
__________________

Brenna
brennae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 02:06 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 4,245
Quote:
Originally Posted by brennae View Post
Well I make mine in ice cube trays and then freeze it in ziplock bags. I take out a cube and let it thaw a bit then cut it into slices for each tank. Depends on what's in the tank as to if there are left overs. My "albino" tank with albino corys and albino BNP's and snails clean up ALL of it because they go crazy for it. My peacock gudgeons will only eat what is floating in the water column so that does create a mess when the food finally reaches the bottom. My bettas eat it from the bottom etc. Just all depends on what fish you keep and what you feel like dealing with I guess.
So in a tank with gravel does it get inbetween the rocks and become impossible for the fish to get too? In one of my tanks I have gravel but I have snails and shrimp as well.
__________________
God is amazing. The proof is in the pudding and the pudding is everywhere
African Leaf Fish Tank Build
GodFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 02:14 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Near Chicago, IN
Posts: 4,856
I have either sand or eco-complete in all my tanks and some are bare bottomed. The snails get to the left overs just fine in the eco. I see my pygmy corys dig around in the eco too. Had I known I would be getting the pygmies I would have put sand down tho. I really like pool filter sand. For black sand I use Petco brand. Some use black beauty blasting sand but its very dirty and I didn't want to mess with it. Of course the leftovers just sit on top of the sand so the Albino tank fish clean it up really well.
__________________

Brenna
brennae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 02:18 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 4,245
Quote:
Originally Posted by brennae View Post
I have either sand or eco-complete in all my tanks and some are bare bottomed. The snails get to the left overs just fine in the eco. I see my pygmy corys dig around in the eco too. Had I known I would be getting the pygmies I would have put sand down tho. I really like pool filter sand. For black sand I use Petco brand. Some use black beauty blasting sand but its very dirty and I didn't want to mess with it. Of course the leftovers just sit on top of the sand so the Albino tank fish clean it up really well.
Cool. I may try that then. So puree the zuchini and mix with the repashy meat?
__________________
God is amazing. The proof is in the pudding and the pudding is everywhere
African Leaf Fish Tank Build
GodFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 06:28 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Near Chicago, IN
Posts: 4,856
Yeah and I'd try a little of some of the other veggies pureed. The repashy gels so you may be able to just get it all to gel together.
__________________

Brenna
brennae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 06:39 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 4,245
Quote:
Originally Posted by brennae View Post
Yeah and I'd try a little of some of the other veggies pureed. The repashy gels so you may be able to just get it all to gel together.
Ok cool. I may try and make some wafers when we get a new dehydrater
__________________
God is amazing. The proof is in the pudding and the pudding is everywhere
African Leaf Fish Tank Build
GodFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 12:25 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Near Chicago, IN
Posts: 4,856
I'd like to have a dehydrator too. Let me know how this experiment works out. I may want to try it too!
__________________

Brenna
brennae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 12:40 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 4,245
Quote:
Originally Posted by brennae View Post
I'd like to have a dehydrator too. Let me know how this experiment works out. I may want to try it too!
I will! I actually may try to dehyrldrate them in the oven! I have bunches of zuchini. I may raid the kitchen tomorrow. I just have to pay for anything I use lol
My pleco was eating a store bought algae wafer today suprisingly. I am hoping this will be kore nutritious. I am pretty sure he also ate one of my rcs too.... it was dead/dying earlier today and I came back and the body was gone. Hopefully the protien will get him growing! I want to move him to my main tank already!
__________________
God is amazing. The proof is in the pudding and the pudding is everywhere
African Leaf Fish Tank Build
GodFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 01:01 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Cactuspixie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Queensland Australia
Posts: 1,830
I doubt anything you or I could make in the kitchen can come close to nls in nutritional quality and balance of nutrients.
__________________
Cactuspixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 01:15 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Near Chicago, IN
Posts: 4,856
That's why the Repashy would get mixed in. Its balanced and then there would be the addition of extra veggies. I think its worth a try for supplemental feeding.
__________________

Brenna
brennae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 02:20 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Cactuspixie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Queensland Australia
Posts: 1,830
Quote:
Originally Posted by brennae View Post
That's why the Repashy would get mixed in. Its balanced and then there would be the addition of extra veggies. I think its worth a try for supplemental feeding.
Is this for fish that won't eat fresh cooked zucchini on its own?
__________________
Cactuspixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 02:32 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 160
food getting wasted

I saw a web site that suggested that you place the repashy into the bottom of a petri dish to keep it out of the gravel therefore it dosen't go too the bottom and boost your levels
__________________
sheilak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 08:34 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 4,245
Ok app wont let me multi quote.
I dont know what nls is but if I make it at home it will be made with realy stuff and not all that fake/prcessed stuff.
I havent tries feeding just zuchini yet.
And I saw that about using the dish but my tanks are pretty deep and I fill them up pretty high so I dont want to be pulling out a dish from the bottom all the time lol
__________________
God is amazing. The proof is in the pudding and the pudding is everywhere
African Leaf Fish Tank Build
GodFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 08:41 AM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
bob mccoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: colorado
Posts: 1,441
i use zucchini- cucumber- green beans - peas-broccoli made into mush and i add some flake food then dehydrate it
__________________

__________________
bob mccoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off








» Photo Contest Winners







All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:17 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.