Homesick for rainbow shark:(

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Homedog98

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hey all... I've been seeing a bunch of threads on the rainbow shark lately, and it made me think about the one I had as a newbie that I kept in a ten gallon tank. It only lived for about 2 months, (stupid ich!!!) and I'd like to try again, but this time in the right size tank. The most I can do is a 55 gallon, would that be ok? Also, would it work with the old stock I had for the 29 gallon plan?
Heres the stocking:

6 black skirt tetras
6 zebra danios
4 orange laser cories
1 male kribensis
1 keyhole cichlid
1 rubberlip pleco
I'd be sure to give him lots of hiding spots for territory options, I just miss the little guy. Any advice/experiences would be greatly appreciated! I don't even know at this point if my parents will let me get a tank that big yet, but I'll see what I can do.

There has been rainbow shark everywhere lately. Their popularity must be on the rise. I'm pretty sure mine is full grown, he hasn't grown in a long time, he's about 3.5". He seems to have plenty of space in his 29 and gets along great in the community...but I hear of them getting bigger.

Remember the pic of the 90gal tank I posted, well the restaurant also had a 30gal tank. And one of the fish is a 5 inch shark. She has loads of rocks and caves to hide in and he seems happy and leaves everyone alone. She's been there for around 5years. I just recently moved her into the 90gal tank. Gotta take a picot her soon!

I had one reach 6 inches. They aren't well suited to a 29 and, although a rainbow shark would work in a 55, it wouldn't really be compatible with the rest of your stock list IMO.

severum mama said:
I had one reach 6 inches. They aren't well suited to a 29 and, although a rainbow shark would work in a 55, it wouldn't really be compatible with the rest of your stock list IMO.

Oh, just curious, but why not? And would it work with any of them?

I just think that a semi-aggressive tank is a better idea for a rainbow shark. I kept mine with gold barbs, BPs, severum, and convicts for several years. HN1 disagrees with me though, he thinks it would be totally fine in a large enough tank. Really, I think we're both right, just remember that sometimes you get an individual that is extra aggressive. Mine was really laid back but I've heard some real horror stories about them too.

Ya, same here. Every fish definitely has it's own personality. I'll probably wind up getting the 29 gallon, and then just saving up for that bigger tank. MTS syndrome here I come!!!

Well, you're going to have an active tank for sure with that stock in a 29. You'll never be able to quit watching it. LOL.

Back
Top Bottom